How Does Section 8 Work

Im trying to apply for section 8 and Ive found several sites but they dont seem to point me to a number where I can call someone from a government assistance program. I see a lot of 3rd party refferals but I dont trust that. IS anyone on section 8 in California and can you explain how you got on it. My family is struggling. Thanks :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Jul. 13, 2008 in Money & Work

• where i live, section 8 is processed through the local housing authority. check your phonebook for the number. the requirements are a student, parent, or a senior. what you will pay in rent will be based on how much you make. if you make alot, you will end up paying more for rent, if you make a little you will pay less for rent.
    mstia

Answer by mstia at 4:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• I am a former section 8 recipient. It is by county/city. For instance Orange County has OCHA Orange County Housing Authority. Santa Ana and Anaheim are both in Orange County but have their own city program apart from COUNTY. There is a waiting list usually 2-5 years long. There are short windows to get an application in to be placed on the waiting list. You must qualifiy to be ON the list. Once your number comes up you must qualify again. Then you get a voucher you have 60 days to find a place to live that accepts the voucher. It is based on income and a few other issues. There can be no criminal record (no felonies) in your back ground or the back ground of any family member living in the unit.

It does go based on income an percentages. The unit you rent is capped at a certain amt for rent and then the housing authority pays the rent and you pay a share up to 40% of your income. Depending upon your area.
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 7:00 PM on Jul. 13, 2008