Stay at home mommies question.

I have been a stay at home mom since my oldest son who is now 3 years old was just 6months old. At the time we lived in a 2 bedroom apartment so it was just really easy to clean.
Now we have a house, a 9month old baby, and i babysit to help out my husband out and so i can earn so money on my own too just to prove i am not a lay person who can't get a job.
Well since this house and since i started babysitting i find it a lot more harder to clean up and keep the house clean. I try to make my cleaning days every Friday where i then do all the major cleaning like dusting, vacuuming, sweeping, moping and cleaning out the cat litter in the basement and the gerbil cages.
Well last week we had friends from Florida come visit us and stay with us for a week. My husband cleaned the whole basement while i cleaned the whole main floor but totally forgot the upstairs. After they left i did some more moping and picked up the house some more including cleaning up the upstairs. Well i am sick and tired of cleaning up everything in the house, toys, laundry, dishes, wiping table, putting shoes where they belong. So after all said and done i made house rules chart and went over it with my husband, my 3 year old, and the 2 boys i babysit for. Even though i have made House rules in the past to try to keep the house clean and some what more easier for me to clean on my cleaning day, it never works.
So my question is even though i am stay at home mom, how do you moms figure out ways to keep your house clean so you have less work to do on your regular cleaning days. And how do u stick to it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Clean as you go. Everything has a place. I love to use baskets anything to make things easier. Also, I teach my kids 5 and 3 to clean as they play and they need to clean up. Yes sometimes I have to help a bit but they do the job themselves. As for the rest of the house just spend a few minutes in each room and do a quick clean daily.
    Amr515

Answer by Amr515 at 3:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I see something I can't stand to look at and clean it. LOL. I have to say I had OCD before I had kids and have become a lot more lax since. They are my OCD cure! ...along with my messy husband. lol. I have a laundry day, Mondays (which is about to change to Sunday). Other than that, I do everything else when I see it needs done. Usually vacuum/sweep/&mop at the end of the day.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 3:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I Have bins for the toys with pictures on it so it is more organized and easier for kids to put away on their own
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I have laundry days too. sundays and Weds
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• The best tips I ever found on cleaning house is at the website, www.flylady.com . She helps you get rid of clutter - which makes cleaning easier, and establish regular habits. For example, she has you clean a little bit every day, rather than for a few hours on Friday. Monday morning is the quick, one-hour home "blessing" - where she runs through the house dusting, vacuuming and changing the sheets (I change every other week). Tuesday is water plants, and spend 15 minutes throwing out junk. Wednesday is paper-day, for doing desk work. Thursday is clean the fridge and write grocery list, and another 15 minutes throwing out junk. Friday is errand day, grocery day. Then Saturday is clean the car, and Sunday is family fun day. Having any routine makes it easier! Having less stuff helps, too, and having a place for everything.
    When my babies were little, I also expected less. It was okay to have a cluttered house. Kids grow up
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 3:05 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I didn't get my Dh to help with inside house cleaning. But he worked full time away from home, so he felt that inside the home was my job. It was easier to agree with him than train him. But he did outside the house chores like grass cutting. When my kids grew up a little, they started helping with housework. A three year old can sort laundry, put it in a washer, set the table, put away silverware from the dishwasher, wash windows, and pick up toys. Good luck! And relax. "Cobwebs be silent and dust go to sleep... I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep."
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 3:07 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• If my house gets out of control the kids go to grandmas and me and daddy do a major cleaning. Then when they come back we clean as we go and keep to a chart. Like Monday clean kitchen thoroughly, Tuesday scrub down bathroom etc.

Answer by gemgem at 3:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I divide into days. My usual chores are kitchen cabinets wipe, dishes, sweep kitchen floor, pick up the house, make beds. Mondays are shop days, tuesdays are bathrooms and vacumning, weds. clean out food cablinet and fridge since trash day, weds usual chores and a slow day, thursdays dust, friday strip and wash beds. Sat are coupons and make grocery list. Laundry is every other day. Evenings are for reading and letter writing. Usual chores get done everyday. This is what works for me and you just have to find a system that works for you. Kids know to clean their bedrooms after dinner or no snack time so always wake up to clean rooms except to make the beds. Hang in there.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Clean as you go.
    momkaribg

Answer by momkaribg at 3:11 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• FLY LADY!!!! Love her calendar. Emphasis on doing a major job once a day, a small job once a day, all week but not spending all day doing top to bottom cleaning because you've neglected the rest of the week.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2011