What can I feed my 18mth child.

My son is at an age where he doesn't want to eat anything, only sweets sometimes. Any ideas on what I could give him that is different.

Things he won't eat, Mac and cheese, sometimes chicken, no veggies at at all, even if it has cheese on it. Noodles, oh the list goes on and on. I need something new to cook, so hit me up.

MsVanqueOsg

Asked by MsVanqueOsg at 3:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• (con) his jaw isn't strong enough to gnaw on a full carrot. Use a shredder, if you like. Serve him carrots at every meal, breakfast, lunch and supper, every day for a week. He may eventually decide that he likes carrots! He may not. If after a week he still won't eat them, put them away and wait two months, then offer them again - the same way -every day for a week. The next week try offering a fruit, like bananas, every day, every meal, for a week. Go ahead and offer other foods if you feel better about it, but you are focusing on "teaching" him what bananas are, what carrots are. Remember to slice all foods small enough that he can't choke on them. Bananas and hot dogs should NOT be served in round little "coin" shapes, which can block his throat if he chokes. Cut bananas and hot dogs in half the long way, then cut into pieces. I plan to write a whole book on how to teach toddlers to eat. Interested?
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 3:33 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• We just started to feed DD whatever was on our plate at that age. Eventually they will eat what is offered to them.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 3:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Give him the same thing you put on your plate. No need to feed a child that age "kiddie food".
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• use those ensure drinks or vitimins to help with what they are missing. Try to make things fun like fruit with dips, vegs with dips, make silly faces with their food, fish sticks, chicken nuggets, cereal since some now have fiber in them, fig news will help get in the fiber. For diary things like milk, yougat. Just keep trying and one day he will surprise you. Try family fun mag or website for ideas. I have a ton of kids cookbooks that have tons of cool recipes and when they got older they had fun finding their own meal they wanted to try for meals.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• peanut butter and jelly, pizza is very nutritional- and loaded w/ hidden veggies!
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 3:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Did he eat well when he was on baby food? Usually the answer is "yes". I think one reason why babies who eat well turn into picky eaters, is because as a baby, the food was always the same. Peas always tasted the same, carrots always tasted the same. But once they start eating "grown up" food, every meal is strange and alien. Sometimes peas are served boiled and buttered, sometimes creamed with potatoes. Carrots are sometimes crunchy and raw, sometimes mushy. Apples might taste sour one day, or dry and mealy the next. Toddlers and Preschoolers LOVE routine! They don't like "new" things. They seldom like mixed dishes or casseroles. A toddler who likes peas, likes potatoes, likes hamburger, may still turn up his nose at a peas, potatoes and hamburger hot dish.
    So - offer him ONE new food a week. Prepare it the same way every single day, every meal. If you chose raw carrots, then chop them VERY THIN - his jaw isn't (cont)
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 3:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• If you want to create healthy eating patterns give him a little bit of whatever you cook for dinner and let him eat what he wants. Eventually he will start to eat whatever you give him. I make my son try a little of his dinner and if he doesn't like it he can have a pb&j. If you cater to him now he will become a picky eater and trust me you don't want that. Children won't starve himself so he will eat when he is hungry.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 3:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• my daughter LOVES sweet potatoes with a little butter and cinnamon..she's loved them since she was a baby...stop with the sweets...if you're offering it, he'll take it. Kids should not have sweets period. another good reason to introduce veggies before fruits in my opinion...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:36 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• It takes at LEAST 10 introductions of the same food, in the same way, before a child will decide if they like it or not. At 18 months he should be able to eat anything and everything that YOU eat, but cut up into small, bite-sized pieces so he doesn't choke on them.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• you can try that pedisure! that worked for my nephew!! he is the same way..
    DanielleFortner

Answer by DanielleFortner at 3:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2011