Any ideas for Strep

Every other month or so DD has gotten strep throat. Finally the last time they told me she was a natural carrier of strep and that she would always test positive for it. She gets bumps on her tongue and a rash on her body now when she gets it. Shes starting to say her throat hurts her again and I'm pretty sure its the strep acting up. They also told me to be careful with giving her antibiotics BC they would eventually loose effectiveness. But at the same time I don't want her to be uncomfortable with it.. What would you do? Is there anything "natural" that I can do for her?

MIMIBRIE

Asked by MIMIBRIE at 3:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Health

• IDK, but my niece and nephew had thier tonsils out for this exact reason, they were told if they got to 5 times in a year they were taking them out, and then they did.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 3:42 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• hard candy, drink fluids, try soup or tea with honey or lemon, try a humidifier at night, try cold things and soft foods, try a spray. My girls love those cold pop suckers you can find at walmart. I think even their is a popsice in the in the medicine section that goes in your freezer for sore throats.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:48 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I used to get Strep a lot when I was little also. My tonsils were removed when I was 7 and I haven't had Strep since. Maybe talk to her doctor about the possibility of this helping your daughter?
    MichaelsMom330

Answer by MichaelsMom330 at 3:50 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Get a referral for an ENT (Ear Nose and Throat) specialist and discuss the possibility of having her tonsils and adenoids removed. I was in the military when I had my tonsils out, and I was told if I got strep/mono six times in a year I would have to have them removed. I did, and they did, and I've been a lot less sick since.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• call and ask your pharmacist they might have some ideas for ya hope she feels better.
    luckygirl2000

Answer by luckygirl2000 at 4:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Definitely ask about having her tonsils (and adenoids) taken out - we had the same issue with our oldest.
    Anonymous

• Garlic. It's a natural cure all. Walmart carries a liquid capsule that is odorless & no heartburn. Gargle with warm salt water several times a day. Have they tested her for mono? I was treated on & off for over a year for strep throat. They only discovered it was mono after I spiked a fever of 108. I still have my tonsils & adenoids.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I agree with all the others that she might need to have her tonsils and adenoids removed. Also make sure you change her toothbrush very often as this is sometimes how kids can become infected over and over again.
    PTmomma3

Answer by PTmomma3 at 9:05 PM on Jul. 8, 2011