Should I be upset??

My husband and I are involved in a vw car club. The people in charge of the club want to photograph his bug for their upcoming calendar. Sounds cool right? But since I am 17 weeks pregnant they obviously don't want me in the picture. Instead they are putting a tiny little "thing" in a swimsuit on his car. We are happily married and this is baby number two for us. I know I shouldn't feel this way but it pisses me off. I got him interested in vw's and got him involved with this club. Now I am not good enough to be in the picture because I'm pregnant and not even showing? Is this hormones or do I have a right to be upset? what should I do they are taking the picture Sunday and he is already prepping his car. I don't even get to be there for the shoot because I wont let our son be witness to the sexism. I just feel like I would be controlling if I tell him not to do it

Afrontz

Asked by Afrontz at 3:42 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Relationships

• well if its just her in the picture I could careless but if he will be with her I will say HELL NO
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:44 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• it's a silly thing to be upset with IMO
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 3:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• if you feel it sexism, why do you want to be on the car then?
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 3:46 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I agree with above, mommy of two388....I would not let him be in the picture with her. How strange...always has to be sexual...it's about the car, not the girl. I don't think it's hormones, I would be upset as well. Tell them that it has to be a HOT guy, not a female and see how quick he changes and them change their minds :)
    luvmy4kidsinAL

Answer by luvmy4kidsinAL at 3:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I WOULD BE UPSET. I DONT THINK YOUR WRONG AT ALL.
    DanielleFortner

Answer by DanielleFortner at 3:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• If this is a car club, then they should make the CAR the focus of the picture, not some chick draped on the car in a bikini! Why do they feel they need to 'sex it up' and put a bikini-chick in the picture? If they need to have people in the shot, then they should have the owner and wife/family in the picture.... NOT bikini-chick! I can see why you are upset, and I would be too. I would also tell them that since it is MY car, I will NOT allow bikini-chick in the photo. If they don't like it too bad. I would not hesitate to say "to hell with the photo find yourselves another car!" and drive it right back home!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:07 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• If it's just the girl in the pick then it wouldn't bother me, but if it's your DH & the girl then I would say HELL TO THE NO!!!
    VanillaBlondie8

Answer by VanillaBlondie8 at 4:07 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• This does sound terribly sexist and behind the times. If your husband was going to be in the photo with the swimsuit girl, say "Over My Dead Body No!" if it's just the girl, then it's probably not an issue. You might suggest to the VW club, that pregnant is sexy, too. That they could photograph you in the car, and your belly wouldn't show. Depends on what the pic will be used for. VWs have always been "folks wagons" - cars made for real families. If so, they should want to photograph a pregnant wife and her son! But if they just want a "chick" then they aren't being true to their original purpose. The whole swimsuit thing is very sexist, and I wouldn't be a part of it.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 3:50 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• It is just going to be the girl in the picture but they are trying to make it like a 50s pin up thing. I'm super urked that I wont even be there. I understand some people don't think a pregnant person is sexy, and that may hurt fundraising sales because I would be in it. They wont take just a picture of the car and that is what is really bothering me. This is also a "family oriented" club. everything they have done in the past has been including kids in all the activities. And now this? I know they want to increase funding but this just seems to far.
    Afrontz

Comment by Afrontz (original poster) at 3:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I think it is stupid of them to tell you that you can't be in it because you are pregnant! Guess those club members don't know that Betty Grable's famous swimsuit pin up picture was taken when she was pregnant. Funny how that was one of THE most popular pin-up pictures of all time too.....
    Anonymous