• In the Spotlight:

Potty train at night?

My daughter will turn 3 in August and I would like her 100% potty trained at night. She is completely potty trained except at night she still wears a diaper.Here is my problem she drinks a sippy cup at night which causes her to pee in her diaper. I know I 'm going to have to break her of that habit which I think we will start tonight. (I'm really not ready for the screaming for 3 hours). Once she quits the sippy cup at night how do I proceed to try to teach her how to get up and use the potty in the middle of the night. I'm not sure how I should start with the overnight potty training. Thanks for your help.

Eisleysmommy27

Asked by Eisleysmommy27 at 3:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Usually the over-night training is done at the same time as the potty training, and potty training shouldn't generally begin until the child wakes up in the mornings with a dry diaper. But, since you've already trained her this way, here's a few suggestions:
    1) no sippy cup at night. At first, you might explain to her that she should drink her sippy cup at the dinner table, and no more after dinner. If this is a major problem, offer her a sippy cup in bed that only has a tablespoon or two of water, with no refills.
    2) Make sure the last thing she does before going to bed is go potty.
    3) put her in undies, but put a rubber sheet on under the sheets. She will feel the pee and it will wake her up. Otherwise, she will sleep through the pee-ing sensation.
    4 If you hear her whimper in the night, get up. She might be feeling the urge to pee, but too sleepy to know what to do. Escort her to the potty. Make sure she gets enough sleep
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 3:55 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• My friend and mil. woke their kids up when they got up to go. They didn't turn any lights on, and had a small night light in the bathroom. Just carried them in there sat them down and took them back to bed when they were done. Now, my mom just took our drinks away an hour or so before bed and waited until we no longer woke with a wet or full diaper. But I am loving LoreleiSieja's suggestions!! I'm currently potty training my 2.5 year old son. he has daytime down, but we are only on day 5 so woohoo for me and you!! good luck
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 4:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• What worked for both of my kids:
    1) no drinks 1.5-2 hours before bed, if desperate a few SIPS, but no more than that
    2) go potty last thing before climbing into bed
    3) go potty as soon as they get up in the morning.

Yes, there will be accidents in the middle of the night. The key to those is to not react at all. Just go in, change the sheets, and leave again. Maybe mention that you're disappointed in her for peeing her bed instead of in the toilet. Reassure that you're not mad, just disappointed. Tell her that it's OK to get up and go potty in the middle of the night, and that you still love her.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Night training is physiological; it's not a learned behavior. Some kids can stay dry as early as the age of 3, and others aren't able to do so until the age of 5 or 6.

http://www.pottytrainingconcepts.com/A-Potty-Accidents-Nighttime.html
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 8:16 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• stop all drinks 2 hours before bedtime I did this with my boys and they were both potty trained at night in now time; also if she is a deep sleeper you could get her up in the middle of the night and walk her to the bathroom and have her go and then walk her back to her bed. have her go potty just before going to bed and if she absolutely demands a drink give her a few sips of water. Good luck and God Bless and remember it isn't going to happen in one night
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:24 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• My dd potty trained thru the day first and we used pull-ups at night. She was holding her urine all night after about a month of potty training during the day. She got and still gets a sippy cup of ice water every night. Whether she drinks a little or a lot. Sometimes she will get up to go potty but most nights she sleeps through.
    trendy2

Answer by trendy2 at 8:16 PM on Jul. 19, 2011