Introducing baby to pet?

I'm currently pregnant with my first child. My husband and I are wondering what is the best way to prepare our dog for our baby's arrival? Our dog has been our baby for the last 4 years. We just want to make sure that he's somewhat prepared, but knows that he's still going to get lots of love and attention from us. Any ideas?

LDS2184

Asked by LDS2184 at 4:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Pets

• Have your husband bring home the blanket the baby was wrapped in in the hospital and give it to the dog to smell

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• You know, I know they suggest bringing something home with the baby's smell on it, but we never did that with our dogs (and our at the time 7 cats, heh). We never had an issue. They were curious about the baby at first, wanting to sniff him, but after a couple of days, they pretty much ignored him all together. He's almost 3 now, and they're best friends! When I brought my second son home 3 months ago, none of the animals even blinked, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:15 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• You might feel a little silly doing this, but use a small doll and start putting it in the crib, carseat, swing, any baby equipment you have set up. The dog will get used to seeing a small 'person' and will be less likely to crowd the baby once it is home. Also, if your dog lays with your on the couch or in bed, hold the doll wrapped in a blanket so the dog learns that it has to share some of its space. We did this, and I don't know if it really worked or if maybe our dog just never cared, but our dog wouldn't even go near our daughter when we brought her home. She will be 3 soon andonly now is he starting to pay attention to her and play with her!
    Bluebird8874

Answer by Bluebird8874 at 5:49 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I am also expecting a baby and this time I will have 2 dogs, a chiweenie and an 80 lb bull dog. I already know that my dogs will NOT be allowed near my baby for the first few months. You have to remember that dogs do not have people feelings, and they have a pack mentality. They need to know from the get go that the baby has a higher status than them, and they must show respect. Never bring the baby down to your dog's level. Do not leave her on the floor in one of those seats or swings, and do not let your dog on the bed or couch, especially if you are holding baby.

mamatel

Answer by mamatel at 9:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• When I was pregnant, my collie would sit on the couch and rest her head on my baby bump. I'm sure she could hear my baby moving around in there. When I brought my daughter home from the hospital, Maggie took to her instantly. My daughter is three now and they are still best friends. Most devoted family dogs will take to the baby, if not right away, then over time. I have two dogs now and they are both very devoted to my daughter.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 4:41 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Never leave them alone together, I have seen news stories of Mom just got up to potty and came back to a dead baby. I don't want to scare you just let you know. The have pack minds not human minds. It wouldn't hurt to role play with a baby doll before your baby is born like PP said. Maybe even play the sounds babies make, cring ect so that wont be such a shock for your dog to hear. Body block to keep your dog a safe distance from baby doll, baby swing, ect so when the real baby is there they already know to give the baby space. On walks keep the stroller in front of them, they should be walking beside and a bit behind the stroller. This sends a clear message of who is now in charge of the house! lol Good luck... it should go fine, most pets who have been properly socialized do well with babies when they come.
    Eko

Answer by Eko at 4:49 PM on Jul. 9, 2011