Breast vs' bottle

What are pros and cons of doing both with a newborn?
Can you switch between the two throughout the day?

SpiffyMom

Asked by SpiffyMom at 9:40 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i started using a bottle along with bf mine at 5 weeks to prepare him for daycare. if you introduce a bottle and plan to bf, just wait until you are both very comfortable with the technical part of breastfeeding.
    Anonymous

• My baby started using a bottle at 5 weeks and nursing too. But about 3 -4 months I stopped nursing and continued breastfeeding. Babies forget easily because they are still so new. But I think if you continue to do both they either love it both ways or end resenting the bottle because boobie milk is so much better!!
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 9:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I had absolute NO interest in breastfeeding. People tried to pressure me and to make me feel bad about it but I did what was right for me. It was actually a good thing in my case because I became very ill soon after the birth and had to take medications that would have made me have to stop breastfeeding anyway.

I don't think people should be pressured either way. Do what makes you the most comfortable.
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 9:46 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• my son had to be in the hospital for jaundice so i pumped and had my husband feed him so i could go home and shower. i gave him bottles and breast for 3 months and then cut the bottle out completely because he was eating funny and hurting me.
    Anonymous

• It's not good to switch back and forth during the first 6 weeks because it can cause nipple confusion and create problems with nursing. If you are not planning on going back to work, then you should try to stick with just the breast. If you do choose to use bottles too, you should get wide base nipple. These are close to being the shape shape as the a real nipple so it won't cause as much confusion.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 9:53 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• You wanted the pros and cons. Well, there is a huge list of pros for breastfeeding. To name a few, There is the cost, Which is Zero. Nobody ever has to pay for boobie milk. Also, instead of having to go to the kitchen, and make a bottle, you just pull out the goods and that's it. Your back to sleep in no time. Also if you breastfeed, you don't have to worry about hauling a bunch of bottles and formula around with you. And you don't have to worry about finding clean water. Not to mention, Breast milk is just healthier for the baby. Some of the cons are you may get an infection and there could be some discomfort, but if you speak to a lactation consultant, they could tell you how to avoid those problems.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 9:59 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Check this out:  101 Reasons to Breastfeed

RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 9:59 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I breastfed for a month and then I couldnt produce enough milk because I switched between bottles and the breast. It wasn't for me anyways because my son wanted to be at the breast 24/7 and nowhere else.
    00MissJade

Answer by 00MissJade at 10:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Its all up to you! I use both with my first son! Then at six week formula only and with my 2nd only formula! Don't let people pressure you to do something your not wanting to do! If you want to do the boob and formula then do it!! Good luck!
    porterjoshua06

Answer by porterjoshua06 at 10:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• We switched between bottle, breast, and pacifier in the beginning and he never had any probelm taking any of them no matter when we offered it. Some babies do get nipple confusion though. I would test it out first. But there's no physical harm in doing it.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 10:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2008