Dog bit me - pound?

We found a stray a few weeks ago. We had it neutered, shots, etc. It healed and started getting annoying. Eating cell phones, remotes, Xbox controllers. We have to put everything we own out of reach and it waits for a small window of opportunity to attack our stuff.

Today it was digging a hole in the yard. Hubby scolded it. I went out there moments later to spy on it and it lunged at me and bit my foot, drawing blood.

We are now ready to get rid of it. So should we simply take it to the pound?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Pets

• You say this dog was a stray... You don't know why it's acting the way it is, could be because of neglect/abuse/etc. If you bring it to the pound, it will be put down, no question about it. If you cared enough to take it in, get it neutered and everything else, I'd say you should try taking it to obedience class first. Also, it's only been a couple of weeks, not nearly long enough for a traumatized dog to start trusting you. If you snuck up on it, you probably startled it, and it bit you as an instinctual self defense reaction...

I love animals, and all of mine (6 cats, 2 dogs) are rescues, so I'd hate to see this dog killed before exhausting all the other options first.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Thank God, Anouck has a brain!
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 5:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• If you still feel you want to keep it then you need to find a good in home trainer to help you. take it to the pound and make sure they know it bit you.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• scissoryes get rid of it. a pet should make u happy and relieve stress. this dog sounds like more trouble than it's worth. it sounds like an abusive boyfriend lol.

gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 5:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I completely agree with Anouck. You cared enough to take it in and get him healthy. Why just dump it at the pound to be put down?? You never know what type of life it had before you. You need to have patience with him and sure try obedience lessons. This bite may be just one freak occurance, he may never do it again.
    I have all strays-1 dog and 3 cats. My sister has taken in 3 stray cats the last few months. They, in my opinion, make the best pets. Don't give up on this dog, you may regret it if you do.
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 5:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Instead of taking the easy way out and shoving the problem on someone else why not take the time and work with the dog. There has to be a reason why this happened and it does not mean the dog is aggressive. You have no idea what this dog history is so hiring a behaviorist would be a good idea. The person would be able to evaluate the dog and go from there.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• absolutely!!! there is no animal that is gonna bite me. shoot i would put it down myself..lol i would get rid of it...
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 4:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Once it bites it will again

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Take it to the pound. Unfortunately you dont know its history and he may be a biter and that wont change. Next time it could be one of the kids. Our animal control people came out when one of the neighbors dogs killed my cat and said dogs like that end up being put down because once they bite they dont stop usually.

Answer by gemgem at 5:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I am so sick of hearing this "easy way out" crap. It bit me. We took it in, fixed it up, bought it everything it could ever want/need and we are rewarded with a bite.

If you care so much come get.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2011