Anyone have experience with vision therapy?

My son has autism. He also has had issues with having a 'lazy' eye. I took him to a pediatric opthalmologist when he was 10 months old. We went through the patch therapy/glasses/surgery. I had heard about vision therapy and had asked the ophthalmologist about it and she said that there wasn't any proof it would work. We just continued to work with her.

Fast Forward 10 years later..

. My son's Occupational therapist noticed his eye issues and suggested vision therapy. I told her what my son's ophthalmologist said.  The OT said that there is a difference of opinion between Doctors of Ophthalmology and Doctors of Optometry on this issue. From what I have researched, this is true. The Ophthalmologist think it's a waste of time and the Optometrist think it's worth the effort. 

Does anyone have first hand experience with vision therapy?  How did it work out for you or your child? 

layh41407

Asked by layh41407 at 5:05 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have not heard of it, but I'm bumping your question so hopefully someone will see it. Hope you get an answer!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• My cousin tried it with her daughter and felt there was some benefit and her daughter did improve in her reading, but can't say for sure it was due to her age or the therapy. My daughter has a lot of problems with her left eye and I thought of doing vision therapy but there wasn't a reliable provider in our area so I just did things with her at home, I'm not sure if there was any benefit. It's a real commitment of time if it's something you want to try.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2011