Has your in-laws ever taken your kids on vacation without you?

My 4yo keeps telling her grandparents that she wants to go to Disneyland. So my mother-in-law wants to take both my 4yo and my 2yo to Disnelyland next year...without me or my husband. I think it's kind of weird. I haven't heard of too many grandparents taking their grandkids on vacation without their parents. My husband thinks it's totally normal. Has anyone else experienced this?

Ms.Maricel

Asked by Ms.Maricel at 5:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• Why are you upset? I would love for them to take them away for a good time and give me a break! I would say yes, yes, yes! Jumping up and down!
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 5:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I think its normal. I have an ex and his parents asked but I said no because they had not seen the kids in 3 yrs so they were strangers to my kids who were all young at the time. But my parents? My inlaws now? Hell yeah. Id tell them to go have fun. Vacation time for mom and dad!

Answer by gemgem at 6:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• It is normal but I would never let my in laws or even my parents take my kids ANYWHERE! But for loving grandparents that can be trusted I think its just fine :)
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 6:05 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I guess I should of added that my mother-in-law only visits maybe twice a year, so I don't know her well and I think my father-in-law has a drinking problem. I also wonder if going to Disneyland at 5yo and 3yo is safe without their parents. If my kids were older and were able to communicate better, then that wouldn't be a problem.
    Ms.Maricel

Comment by Ms.Maricel (original poster) at 6:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• That's a big hell no. I wouldn't even let them spend the night there or be in their house without us.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I don't think it's normal and my answer would be no. I can see spending the night with the grandparents or maybe even the weekend but that's it.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 6:15 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Just for my own comfort i would never let my inlaws take my kids to grocery store around the corner let alone disney but thats because they aren't exactly what i would call smart when it comes to parenting (Seat belt laws are a suggestion, holding a childs hand in a crowd is taking away their independence) but honestly taking kids to disney without their parents is just a little off i can understand saying "Hey we will pay for them to go you just have to cover your tickets" but no disney isn't a place i would let my kids go without me being right there with them
    krissii

Answer by krissii at 6:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• My in-laws just took my kids with them to their place in Maine for the next week. The kids have been going evry year for the past 9 years or so. (they also go for a few weekends) The kids enjoy it and we get some us time. Of course, I totally trust them and have no issues with them If I did that would be another story. But, if they wanted totake them to Disney without us I may have a problem, I'd wanna go too!
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 6:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• It's really a matter of how comfortable you are with it. One weekend, we had two of our g.kids here as their parents went to a wedding out of state, so I and my older daughter took them to Disneyland for the weekend. (no we don't live in CA). They were about 3 and 6 yrs old and had a ball. (oh and I had told the parents we may take them someplace for the weekend...just didn't tell them where as we really hadn't decided, it was either disneyland or the ocean) I think it's great as long as your are comfortable with it, and trust the g.parents. Another time the other g.mom took her daughter & a couple of g.kids to Disney World and later on she took the rest of em to Disneyland. It was really neat as that was really the only way those kids were going to get to go to either place, she could afford it, the parents couldn't.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 6:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• No way. I wouldn't even leave my kids with my inlaws for an extended amount of time. There is no way I would trust them to take my kids at that age to a super crowded theme park.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2011