Do you ever feel like yelling is the only way to your childs attention?

I keep telling myself I Have self control. No need to yell.. but I Can feel my voice raising after each time out.. I made both my son and sandwhiches for lunch.. and for some reason he didnt want me to have tomatoe on my sandwich. so he knocked over my plate when he saw the tomatoe.. SO he got a 5 min time out.. he is almost 4. but it really pissed me off that he was the upset bc i wanted my sandwhich with a tomatoe..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Kids are fun aren't they?
    I'm willing to bet it is just a phase. Did you try asking him what was wrong with the tomatoes? Personally, I would have made my daughter clean up the mess she made when she dumped the plate too.
    My three year old gets aggravated if I drink anything other than water! "Mom" she says as she puts her hands on her hips, "that is NOT water." She has hidden Dr.Pepper cans from me and has dumped my coffee. However I allow her to have kool-aide and apple juice. I tried to reason that with her and it really ticked her off.
    Marcibunni

Answer by Marcibunni at 7:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• In situations like this I always pull the adult card. As in, I'm an adult and I'm making lunch, and I want a tomatoe on my sandwich.. When you're an adult you can make your sandwich the way you want to. Or something like that.
    JoyXtwo

Answer by JoyXtwo at 11:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I have to agree with JoyXtwo.. A parent can only give the child as much leverage as you allow them to have. You are the parent.. In the real world they cant argue with their boss or superior one day. so realistically they shouldnt argue with you.. because if you teach to listen in the little things they will learn the big things although harder will be easy and wont be so surprising
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 1:25 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• You might try whispering (good with the toddlers) or singing (great through grade school-aged).
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:52 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I agree with the above answer- whisper. You will throw them for a loop and seriously get their attention! I know it sounds tough when you're in the moment and angry but it will calm you and them. Good luck Momma!
    MommyofTwo331

Answer by MommyofTwo331 at 6:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• try talking in a normal or lower voice and usually that gets their attention; the more you yell the more they won't listen and they tend to start yelling also. Kids are a learning experience in progress and we have to go through alot of trial and error to figure out what works best for us and them
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:15 AM on Jul. 11, 2011