Discipline for a 2 yo??

I've tried to discipline my DD...time outs aren't working.
She's back talking me. Doing things she's not suppose to do.

Like, she'll completely unbuckle herself from the carseat. I'll pull off the side of the road and have to put it back on her, she'll kick and scream. I'll smack her on the hand or leg. It normally stops the kicking/slapping.

But, her back talking me, I'm about to cut her tongue out and beat her with it. She'll tell me things like "you're not my boss", "I said no", "I'm not doing this", "because I said so". OMFG...driving me nuts.

Is taking her cartoons away from her okay? Or is she too young for that?

Like, in an hour or so, I have to pick my neighbor up from the airport and told her "because you're not doing what mommy is telling you, you cannot go with mommy and you will stay at home with daddy."

She told me "I'm going, I said so"...now, even though I want to laugh, I don't. I need someone to help me with this.

Chloesmom1126

Asked by Chloesmom1126 at 6:20 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I took cartoons away from my son at that age and ya know what it still works to this day at the age of 9. I have found that if you get them where it hurts, toys, and shows they learn they cannot do whatever they want. My son is a totally different child from his terrible 2's. He is very compassionate and understanding, more than what I could say about that time period where he was a little rebel. It will get better. If she unbuckles and you pull over tell her that if she doesn't listen than she will not be able to go anywhere she wants to later, like the park or play date. Don't leave the side of the road until they stop talking back or unbuckling. I know that this is easier when you aren't rushing but give it a try. Also, if she says something mean or rude to you than later on when you & the family are doing something fun tell her she has to not participate since she wan't on her best behavior. Eventually she will come around
    tamorama

Answer by tamorama at 6:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I would leave her at home when u go to the airport,u don't need the stress! I would put her down for a nap when she acts up!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 6:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• spank her on the butt. i rarely spank mine, because just the threat of it coming clears up the behavior almost instantly. time outs have no effect on her. take away the cartoons, favorite toys, desserts after dinner, etc. like a previous poster stated, you have to get them where it hurts. think about what is going to affect her the most, and take it away. for a 2 year old, that is likely the cartoons, special outing, cookie after dinner, etc. consistency is key, though. give in one time, and you have just taught her exactly how to get her way.
    pinkpaisley8709

Answer by pinkpaisley8709 at 10:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• You may not agree with this, but when our DD started saying "shut up," we gave a light pop on the mouth with a stern look and "No!" She was almost 3, and it wasn't anything that was meant to hurt--it more so hurt feelings. That's what I would do for the back talk and each time she back talks you, you have to reiterate the fact that she is not allowed to talk to you that way. If that's not an option for you, then, yes, definitely start taking some of her favorite things from her until she starts behaving.
    mahrah

Answer by mahrah at 3:03 PM on Jul. 10, 2011