Anyone else on Zoloft while nursing their baby?

I just started taking Zoloft 25mg (lowest dose) last night and I decided to continue breastfeeding even though I am torn about which is really better for me and 2 month old baby...I really hope to GOD I made the right decision.  I know I NEED the medication for my mental well-being and my baby NEEDS my breastmilk.  Besides, why should all my milk go to waste? I don't want to cheat my baby out of having all the nutrients and antibodies to fight illnesses.  Plus, I hate to pump.  I'd rather stick my baby on my breast.  Easier, cheaper, faster than bottle formula feeding.  I just want reassurance from other mothers who nurses their baby with Zoloft in their system.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Health

• i started takin that after i stop breastfeeding. have u asked ur dr if its ok to continue? i've heard there can be risked involved.
    lovinlilman

Answer by lovinlilman at 6:32 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Did you ask your dr if that was safe first?
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 6:33 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• The thing about Zoloft is that usually 25mg isn't enough to treat someone, they will up your dose. I never took antidepressants while BF as I was too scared too even though the Dr. wanted me to I refused and am glad I did. Anything is possible and I couldn't live with myself if something happened to my child because of it. I hope you thought about it, and didn't feel pressured to do so. If you need help, and need to take it & can't wait, then you are doing what is best for YOU to be the best Mom you can be. GL to you....
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 6:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I know 50mg helps me, so in 2 weeks I wll up to that... as I have taken in the past. Yes, OB and Pharmacist told me it is safe.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Doctors don't know anything about breastfeeding for one. Two I think you should ask the breastfeeding group on here as they have really good resources about meds and breastfeeding.
    Nameismommy

Answer by Nameismommy at 6:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• nameismommy is right, ask a lactation consultant. zoloft is supposed to be the safest one to take while breastfeeding, i had a friend who took prozac which is one of the ones you shouldnt take and her son is a big brat but otherwise healthy (and im sure him being a brat has nothing to do with the prozac :p)
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 8:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• i been told it is not safe i have been told by 5 doctors not to take it and anyone see the lawsuits on it? i was put on medicine and they made me stop breastfeeding i hated it to but my milk was not producing well either to begin with
    Anonymous

• The companies that make antidepressant will not say it is safe to breastfeed & talk to your Doctor. Your Doctor rather have a happy & healthy Mom and way out the small chance of something happening & being passed through milk to your baby. It's all risk taking really...
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 11:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Ask a pediatrician or your OB whether it is safe to continue on taking Zoloft while breastfeeding. Zoloft in particular has been linked to numerous Zoloft birth defects in children born to mothers who were taking the drug while pregnant. But most of us here can only speculate as we are not experts on that field.

AngelenaMays

Answer by AngelenaMays at 2:35 PM on Sep. 22, 2011