Kinda nervous

my husband is thinkin about joinin the Air Force. he's goin on the 22nd of this month to take the physical and a test. and if he passes both of those he's joining. he'll be gone for 8 weeks in texas for basic, then idk where for job training. so idk how long it'll be before we see him again. any advice on how to deal with bein away from ur husband for that long?

lovinlilman

Asked by lovinlilman at 6:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Relationships

• And as far as after he joins, when you become a military wife, you will quickly find support in the military community. Yes, you do have to be careful because some military wives (like civilian wives) are very catty and miserable people to be around. But you will make some of the best, closest friends you have ever had, people that will be there for you through deployments, for good times and bad, people that you can call at 3am and know they will come right over if you need. You will not be without support. It is hard moving to new bases and making new friends, but it is also an amazing experience.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• =( i could never be with a man who joins the military... was with a BF who joined the marines and while it wasnt serious (the relationship), i went CRAZY!

write him often, throw your blanket in the dryer for the warmth at night... buy another pillow and place it over you, like its his arm. wear his t-shirts to bed... set a goal for yourself; focus on something else- a hobby, arts and crafts, etc.
    Shy_Dia

Answer by Shy_Dia at 6:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I think it takes a very strong mother/father and partner to support someone in the service!! Even if he is not big on writing I'm sure it would make him feel good to get letters from you from time to time! I am not sure I could be away from my partner for anything more than a week!! I am sure the two of you will discuss it and come to a decision that is best for you and your family!!! Best of luck to you!!! :)
    kelli.mccarty

Answer by kelli.mccarty at 6:48 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Lean on family. 8 weeks really isn't that long, and basic training went back down to 6 and a half weeks.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 6:32 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Make sure you have a removal shower head with massaging features....
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 6:33 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I have no advice on this topic. HUGS!!
    mz_erica03

Answer by mz_erica03 at 6:38 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• yeah i have to agree with af get used to it dh is in the army and it's a whole lot of hurry up and wait. and last minute changes. if you learn nothing else learn fast how to be FLEXIBLE. things could change at any moment. And i saw that you said you were not a big writer. you may want to change that. sometimes that will be the only communication that you have and i found myself pouring my heart and soul into some letters and couldn't wait for his. i still have everyone that he wrote and the same for him they are things that i truly treasure. But you will learn this as you go along. And definitlely lean on family but also don't expect any of them or your civilian friends to understand or relate to what you are going thru unless they have it in their background. you kinda become a part of a different "community" if that makes sense.....well it will once you are in.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 6:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• My DH has been in for 15 years. Our son was 2 weeks old when he left for basic. Luckily, we lived in TX so it was just a 6 hour drive for us to go for the last week of basic and for his graduation. Then he had 3 month tech school still in San Antonio during which I stayed 2 months in a hotel right off the base (cheapest one i could find to stay under his pay), with our son. We saw him a few times a week. My DH is also not big on writing, BUT when he was in basic, I sent him a letter every week, and every week I received a LONG letter in return. I was able to send him pictures of our son and everything. Also he had a few times when he could call too which was great. As far as moving away from family, that was hard for me too but our kids (we have 3 now) have been SO much better off for having been able to travel the world and experience cultures other than their own, and they still have a close sense of family. PM me if u need.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• oh the recruiter said it was 8 weeks. are u or ur husband in the AF?
    lovinlilman

Comment by lovinlilman (original poster) at 6:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• We both are...and basic training was bumped up to 8 weeks, but I am almost 99.9% positive they took it back down to 6 and half, unless they took it to 6 and then changed it back to 8.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 6:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2011