Need help with a seriously colicky 4 month old!

Not sure where to turn anymore! Doc keeps trying different formulas for him and I can't imagine changing his formula as often is helping any either! He is now on Nutramagin after bad run in with Prosobee! I have this feeling its not colic and I'm unsure if that's what all mom's with colicky babies think....he doesn't show the symptoms of colic other than he screams all the time...They have not taken any tests to make sure it is nothing else causing his painful cries...any opinions!

kelli.mccarty

Asked by kelli.mccarty at 6:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Health

• Gripe water! Saved my life.
    Ataemommy

Answer by Ataemommy at 6:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Feel for you, have you tried gripe water? warm baths? just lots of lovings & trying to relax baby, it will pass soon enough. My babies always loved the vibrating bouncy chair, if ya don't have one try it out & see if you baby likes it : ) GL & stay strong it can be tough no doubt.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 6:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• His doctor advised me away from gripe water said the main ingredient is ginger and ginger in large amounts is harmful to there liver. He loves the bath I give him baths often during the day...I have like every bouncer, swing, type thing you can think of and he screams..The car heck no sounds like someone is killing him! :( the only way I can lay him down is to put him on a hard surface like the floor on his tummy! He cries so much he is not awake much a day I'm guessing because he wears himself out crying!
    kelli.mccarty

Comment by kelli.mccarty (original poster) at 6:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• my 2nd son was bad, it went on til he was 6 months, I took him to the ER several times, thinking there was something more to it. They did some tests and found he had an acid reflux problem. But nothing ever helped. Sometimes he loved the sound of the vacuum.
    Good luck I know its exhausting, but I think Drs sometimes call it colic, because there really is no answer other than they are just cranky little ones
    jennient3

Answer by jennient3 at 6:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• If you are using a powdered formula version then Stop. ONLY use a liquid pre-mixed version. When my Son was born, his Pediatrician told me this & I only used Similac Advance Liquid & never had a problem. Many other Moms that I know had really bad problems when they used powder formula & once they switched, the baby was fine. There may be something in your local water that is irritating the babies digestive system. that's what my Pediatrician said & we live in a suburban area. It's worth a try & try Dr. Browns bottles, they eliminate a lot of gas.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:01 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I have heard a lot about the Doc brown bottles! I had really bad luck with premixed formula and I'm unsure his insurance with cover it even...His formula he takes now is prescription so our insurance pays for it! thank goodness. Also I only use Gerber water. I thought for sure he had reflex and they swear he doesn't and won't even give him the test! I have taken him to his doc 4 or 5 times and the local children's hospital twice!
    kelli.mccarty

Comment by kelli.mccarty (original poster) at 7:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I never heard of ginger in gripe water it tasted kinda pickly to me...there are different types take a look at the ingredients I really don't think it is harmful at least not the type we used. Just a note I used Nestle Goodstart Omega Formula and had no problems. It was recommended by our Doctor. GL!!
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 11:33 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Is the baby on Prosobee because he's allergic to mjlk? May just need a diff. mixture of prosobee.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• No we took him off the Prosobee because it made him seriously constipated!!! He is on Nutramigen now. Which is for babies with colic due to a milk protein allergy!
    kelli.mccarty

Comment by kelli.mccarty (original poster) at 5:49 PM on Jul. 9, 2011