Frustrated! how is this fair?

my dh works 30+ hours of overtime every check and it seems like we are barely making ends meet. we get the necessities and thats it. while people who work part or not at all get public assistance and 500+ in food stamps and pay hardly anything in rent. why is it that those of us who work and take care of our own have to just barely get by. we shouldnt have to be going hungry cause we make to much for assistance, yet sil gets 800 in food stamps and sells some of them so they can buy cigarettes and what not, they get free rent plus 500 in cash assistance, why because they refuse to work. but yet dh and i bust our asses at our jobs to barely make ends meet.
so how is this fair?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• fourisplenty
    But it's ok for some people on PA to have brand new cars, the newest smart phones, all of the newest gaming systems and brand name clothes and weekly manicures?
    To me, THAT is living outside of their means, but they still do it.
    I know not all people on PA are like that, but I understand the frustration of the poster when you see things like this happening.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• tell me about it! ive been frustrated over this for a while now. when my son was a real baby, i had nobody to watch him while i worked so i got 350 a month in food stamps.. once he got alittle older, it was easier for me to find babysitters so i got a waitressing job. they took my food stamps away because i "made too much money". However, I have a friend who has refused to work for years and her daughter is 3 almost 4 yrs old and she gets food stamps and public assistance because she sits on her ass all day. its not fucken fair at all.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• It is time to replace welfare with work fare

Answer by rkoloms at 9:48 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Because life is just not fair. If you are doing all you can and not able to make needs meet then you are living outside of your means. You are hard working you can figure out how to work with what you have. Screw what everyone else does.
    fourisplenty

Answer by fourisplenty at 6:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I know what u mean! I know people who r on food stamps and they get two cart loads of junk food with them!!!! The taxpayers r paying for all these lazy people!!! They dress better then the people who do work!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 7:01 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I totally agree with u anon!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 7:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• There's definitely a flaw in the system. I thought that they were supposed to make all able-bodied people look for work or at least take classes toward a degree or trade in order to receive public assistance & not have it as a long term solution. In the meantime, maybe you can check into local food banks or churches to help supplement your food budget. Hang in there mama, you're def. not alone! *Hugs*

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Feed the children,let the lazy people work
    Anonymous

• we try to live within our means, we have to pay rent, utilities, car insurance. our home phone and internet is one bill and only 50 a month. we have to have a phone and if i cancel net i cancel phone. our apartment is based on income so they been steadily raising rent. with the way its going we cant afford to move, and i dont want to just not pay rent for a couple of months and get evicted either. our land lord over all has been good to us. we went over our budget so many times to see what we can cut. we quit smoking couple months ago, which helped but still living pay check to paycheck. i just dont know what to do, it shouldnt be like this. the welfare system should be giving ppl enough to get by and thats it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• layh41407 has it right. I know that not everyone on PA goes overboard. but at the same time the case worker gives them excess is some cases, and the person on PA cant say no thats too much, its either take it or leave it.
    I plan on going to the church and salvation army on monday to get food. which I hate. i havent been to either in months, they are always my last resort.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:42 PM on Jul. 8, 2011