When did you stop using a crib and switch to toddler bed?

My DD is almost 1 yr old, and we have lowered the mattress almost as low as it can get. She is VERY strong in her upper body, and she might be able to pull herself up and over the rail soon. Just curious as to when some of you started using a toddler bed?

EternalDiesirae

Asked by EternalDiesirae at 7:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• My son is almost 2...and we're about to switch him now. We've thought for a long time now that he was going to start climbing out, but he actually just did it for the first time last week. So, its time now!!
    mlmkjw

Answer by mlmkjw at 7:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• When my daughter started climbing out of her crib. I don't remember exactly how old she was at the time.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• We switched at 16 months because our son climbed out of the crib twice and I was worried he'd injure himself by falling out. It was actually the best thing in the world- the night he started sleeping in his toddler bed was the first night that he slept through the night. Somehow the toddler bed had magical "sleep through the night" powers over him.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• As soon as my daughter started climbing out after I put her to bed, running into the living room shouting "Mommy! I not tired!" Once she was climbing out and got her foot hung up and, when she jumped to the floor, she ended up hanging upside down and screaming bloody murder.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 7:32 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• With my first we switched her at a year old since her sister was 2 months old and that was the age I would put them in their own room to sleep. With my second we took her out of the crib and into her own toddler bed at about a year also.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 7:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• With my first, not until he was 2.5 years. He never even tried to climb out and was perfectly happy in the crib, so we left him there until he decided he didn't want to be there any more.

My second, when she was almost 2 years. She didn't really try to climb out, either, but she protested being in the crib (or pack-n-play, in her case), so when we moved, we just put a bed in her room.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 7:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• My son was about 2 and a half... Our daughter is just under 2 and we just switched her...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 7:49 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• when my kids were about 1 year old. at first i put pillows on the floor next to the toddler bed to help cushion the fall out of the bed. they went to twin size at around 3 years old
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 7:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Dd was 13 mos when I moved her. She first would get stuck a d tangled in the bumper so I removed it, then she kept getting stuck between the mattress and drop down rail with her legs sticking out and turning purple. So I just put her in a toddler bed and found out 6 mos later they recalled the crib because kids were getting stuck between the matress and rail and suffocating!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• When my daughter was almost 2 yrs old, I came home one day and the crib was gone and my husband had set up a Big Girl bed for my daughter.
    maggiebgood

Answer by maggiebgood at 8:16 PM on Jul. 8, 2011