Did you adopt?

If so, how did you go about it? Where did you adopt from? And how old was your child/children?

katinthehat8914

Asked by katinthehat8914 at 7:46 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Adoption

• Yes, we adopted. We were actually contacted through friends by our son's birthmom. She had heard about us wanting to adopt a child/children for years. We met,and she changed our lives forever. Our adoption was a private adoption within our state. We hired a lawyer,and had to go through medical, financial,back ground check. We adopted our son from birth. We still have contact with our son's birthmom. We are very blessed.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 8:11 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Yes, we adopted both of our kids at birth through American Adoptions. One was born here in our state and one was out of state. In both cases we were chosen by their birth families. We have close relationships with both families and wouldn't have it any other way. I felt like our agency did a good job of taking care of the birth families and making sure they had the counseling and support they needed, whenever they needed it, and that they made sure that adoption was really the right choice for them. My SIL adopted through the Independant Adoption Center and did not feel the same way based on things their daughter's birthparents shared with her. I think if you're going to adopt you should look at the different forms of adoption, read things both for and against, and decide from there what's best for you.
    ZoeyBethsMomma

Answer by ZoeyBethsMomma at 9:38 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Our daughter is adopted from China. The process took a little over 2 years, although it is now a 5 year wait. Lilly was 17 months old when she came home in 2007. She will be 6 in November and in Kindergarten.
    We had to go through 4 layers of government: county, state, federal and China's laws as well. The paperwork took 6 months to complete and then a 17 month wait, followed by 2 more months until we traveled. We then spent 3 weeks in country before arriving home. The readoption process took another 6 months to complete as our county changed it's regulations and we ended up being the test family for the new law.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• We adopted our daughter through domestic infant adoption out of the same state we live in, but different county. Once we decided that we would go for adoption, we researched agencies and found the one we felt most fit us, and started classes that next month. BMom chose us when she was 6-1/2 months pregnant, gave birth not even a week later, and then chose to parent. Three months later she changed her mind back and we brought home DD.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:42 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I am adopting my baby boy through kinship care (foster care). They came to us as a possible placement. That was about 10 months ago and the adoption should be final in the fall. Bio mom called me from jail informing me she is pg again and asked if we would adopt that baby too. We would like to go through the same program, but do not know if we will qualify. We shall see. Of course there is a much longer story here. :o)
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 10:51 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• We adopted embryos through an infertility clinic. We were on their wait list for about 18 months before being matched. I had 3 embryos transferred and ended up having twins. They just turned 7.  We have a biological child as well.  We had infertility issues with TTC #2.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 2:13 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• We adopted a boy through a private situation domestically. My son is now four and he went home from the hospital with us.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:15 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Both of our kids were adopted through private domestic adoptions using an adoption attorney. We were at the hospital for both births. Our son's birth mom asked us to be in the room with her when he was born and we were able to see our daughter two hours after she was born. Both kids went home from the hospital with us.
    maxava

Answer by maxava at 6:15 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• My DS came to our family as a foster child at 6 months old. After his parents' rights were terminated, we adopted him thru our state's foster care program.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:00 AM on Jul. 10, 2011