How do you get out of jury duty if you just don't have child care?

I live in California, and here a person is not excused from jury duty for dependent care if your child is over the age of 7. To me this is ludicrous and unfair. I have never used a babysitter for my 11 year old daughter. I am a stay-at-home mom and do not leave her, or trust to leave her, with anyone. My husband is the sole bread winner and works full time and I will not impose on my elderly parents to keep my child for weeks so I can serve on a jury. Moreover, I cannot afford to pay a babysitter, and even if I could, I wouldn't because I do not trust anyone with my child. The courts do not care about this and insist you have to "arrange" child care. Has anyone challenged this unfair system and refused to go serve based on not having child care. I do not feel that the courts should force a mother to leave her minor child with anyone if she doesn't feel comfortable doing so. What do some of you other moms think about this? My father tells me they have no legal right to make me leave my minor child with anyone and that I could actually sue the court if they came after me for refusing to serve based on not having childcare.

ilovepoms

Asked by ilovepoms at 7:48 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• When my mother was called to to this she went and got a doctors paper saying she was unable to do the jury duty due to anxiety, it's bending the truth in your case but if your really unable to do it, I don't see why you should feel forced to.
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 7:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• @kylie_bob: that's a great idea. I never thought of a note for anxiety.
    ilovepoms

Comment by ilovepoms (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• It's kinda true in your case as you don't want to leave your children, good luck :)
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 7:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• CA provides child care.
    Anonymous

• I guess I should make that more specific. CA provides FREE child care for those on jury duty.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't have left my 11 year old home alone for that long no, not that many hours a day for possible weeks, but the child has friends she could stay with I have friends that would help out. Why won't anyone help you out?
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• She is 11. I don't see how she would inconvenience anyone, much less her own grandparents. Just because you have jury duty, doesn't mean you will get picked. It also doesn't mean if you do get picked, you will be on a jury for weeks.

I didn't know CA offered free child care. I would take advantage of it for my civic duty. She is 11. I'm sure she will be fine.

After this whole Casey Anthony fiasco, I would so want to be on jury. People really can't understand how the law works till they are sitting on a jury. It's a good learning experience.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:14 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I agree with Christine! Serving on a jury would be awesome right now just because of that. Sure, you do not know what it is about as of yet. But leaving your daughter is causing anxiety, then go to your doctor and do what KYLE said. That will get you out of it. No problem.

Pffft

Answer by Pffft at 11:34 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Sue for everything. Why is this a sue happy society.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:44 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I think it our responsibility as citizens to serve on jury duty if selected. In this case, given the age of your child, yes - I agree with the court you obligation to serve. My honest opinion is if you are experiencing separation anxiety as a mother, please seek professional help through counseling. Most people do not like to serve on jury duty but it is a duty and responsibility as a citizen of this country to fullfill this role. Unless you truly have a disorder, I find it distasteful to lie to the court about a disorder you do not have. You wanted an opinion so here is mine: suck it up, serve, and move on. You will not have to serve again for some time once you have completed your civic duty.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:30 PM on Jul. 10, 2011