S/o marriage age question

Should pre-nups be required automatically in all states? A lot of people who would be better protected by them don't ask for one because of the stigma. That or they love to believe that nothing will ever change - something that a lot of people believe right up until one or the other of the couple has a midlife crisis, spiritual shift or they suffer a tragedy.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:55 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• No. The state shouldn't be involved in marriage.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 7:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I don't think so. I would never ask for a pren-up, neither would my husband.
    We got married and when we said our vows, we were serious about them. Neither of us believe in divorce and will not use it as an easy out. So no reason for a pren-up.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 8:01 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• UMM NO.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I would never ask for a pren-up, neither would my husband

That's my point - a lot of people who won't ask for one are the same ones who 10 or 20 years down the road end up screwed.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• A prenup is only to protect what you have before youre married, anything received during marriage is split. So there are a ton of people that dont even require one

dedicatedmama2

Answer by dedicatedmama2 at 8:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• The state shouldn't be involved in marriage.

I am not going to have this argument with you again. Marriage is a legal contract. Matrimony is a Christian ritual, as denoted in the original Latin - Ego conj├║ngo vos in matrim├│nium.

States should not be involved in Matrimony. I'm asking about marriage, which they absolutely are involved in, since they issue the contract.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:07 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• That's my point - a lot of people who won't ask for one are the same ones who 10 or 20 years down the road end up screwed.

And that is the state's problem how?
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 8:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• And that is the state's problem how?

Courts tied up with divorce hearings that could be settled without one.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Marriage is a legal contract.

Marriage wasn't a legal contract until white men wanted to start marrying minority women ... go look it up. It become a legal contract because the state wanted white men to ask permission to marry minority women. And btw - "matrimony" is synonymous with "marriage." - same thing.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 8:09 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Courts tied up with divorce hearings that could be settled without one.

That doesn't make it the state's problem. That's what the courts are there for. And these court fees aren't paid for by the tax payer - they are paid for by the couple filing for divorce.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 8:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2011