American Bulldog temperment?

I have a female American Bulldog. She is 1 1/2 years old. She is VERY protective of me and my family and wary of strangers. She has to meet the person at least 3 times before she'll stop barking at them. And once she gets to know them she is a sweetheart. Is this typical for the female breed?

Every male bulldog I've seen is very outgoing and friendly and ready to play the first time I've seen them.

mamatel

Asked by mamatel at 8:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Pets

• i have a male. he's extremely energetic - and he's been neutered. he's shown signs of being protective, but only twice, when i was wrestling w/ dh when i was first pregnant, and when someone came to the door screaming at me. other than that, yes, he barks when someone knocks on the door, but he's always been very friendly. when he was younger, he'd get so excited about seeing people that he peed himself!
    i don't know if that's a male/female thing, though. but i'll bump you.
    he's two and a half, btw.
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 9:05 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I have a female american bulldog. She is very protective. My dog does not take to anyone she does not know. She will bark so loudly that someone who is knocking on my door will not even think to enter my house..lol. I have read that American Bulldogs are protective,and they should be around as many people as possible as a puppy for socialization. I absolutely love the breed.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 10:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• It all depends on how well socialized they were as a puppy. You need to literally take them out to meet new people, like 5 new people a week or more. Dog parks, pet stores, walking in the neighborhood.. very important. It's all untrue that gender plays any role in personality. Ask a vet.
    Eko

Answer by Eko at 11:13 PM on Jul. 8, 2011