Taking your LO to the doctors- what's your 'guidlines'?

I know some moms who rush right to the doctor for every sniffle and some who only go in if it seems their child is on the brink of death (not literally)... I feel I am in the middle somewhere... I don't rush to give meds for a fever and I don't go to the doctor for colds/flues unless they last for more than a week with out improvement. In fact If I had to guess I would say other then routine exams my kids are only at the doctor maybe once or twice a year... how about you?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 8:55 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Kids' Health

• yeah, i don't take my kids to the dr. much either. usually just their wcc, a flu shot and that's it. there is always a lot of snotty noses in there and we don't go unless we really have to!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• my kids don't go unless I suspect they have a bacterial infection, OR have been sick longer than 5 days or VERY high very for more than 2 days
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I go for check ups and whenever something is beyond my abilities to treat. Which honestly isn't much.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 8:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Yearly check ups and ear infections seem to be the only reason we go.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• We are in there waaaayyyyy too much. My daughtered suffered with a chronic illness this last year, and it was non-stop until we finally had surgery.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 9:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I always call first. A phone call is cheaper, and they're good about telling us whether it sounds like something they can treat or something that just has to run its course.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• checkups and ear/sinus infections. My older 2 go maybe twice a year (sometimes once). My youngest was very sick as a young child, but her immune system seems to have kicked in (knock wood) and she hasn't been in several months.

My kids have no symptoms for ear/sinus problems but sleeplessness... I can take them in with no fever and fine during the day and it is about to burst, so I go when I get a feeling about it... probably am right 2/3 or 3/4 times.

I don't think we've ever been for a stomach bug, and as far as colds, probably near 2 weeks or later, when we know it's morphed
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 9:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• If I can't treat it at home, or I'm totally baffled as to what's wrong I take them in to be seen. And for their Well Child Checks.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Basically not until I have tried unsuccessfully to treat it myself at home. Fevers I can usually bring down, and a lot of things I think would require antibiotics can be taken care of by treating the symptoms.

The last things we were in the doctor's for were an eye infection that needed antibiotic drops, and when my 2 year old cut herself on some glass and I couldn't get the bleeding to stop. That one irritated me, because the cut was not big, but it was deep and on a knuckle...plus, she ripped the glue stitches off on the drive home from the ER. Grrrr.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I'm easing up on how often we go! When my oldest was little, we were there all the time. Now that my youngest is 4, I've learned to wait it out, treat at home. There are instances where we'll go earlier, but most of the time I'll call and ask about something before taking them.
    Anonymous