Tomorrow there is going to be a family gathering.....

I've been warned that a relative is going to as much as possible to convince the rest of the family that Obama isn't the right president and the relative as a Republican and as a representative of the "hard working Americans" will enforce his politics. My question is how to you counter a Republican?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Unless you don't know what you believe and what you believe????

***

^^^ THIS!! If you're not confident in your political beliefs and opinions then why are so afraid of possibly getting a NEW viewpoint?! You come across as being young or as having never paid attention to politics or what the policies of the Obama Administration have done to this country (hint: it ain't good!).

For "fun" why don't you just entertain this family member with an open mind (I hear that's the hallmark of being a liberal), and if you think you can counter his arguments, then go for it!

Otherwise, just go by the tried and true rule of never discussing money, religion and politics in mixed company!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:04 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• LOL, how do you 'enforce your politics'? Seriously, he isn't going in the voting booth with anyone but himself. Either think of ways to change the subject, or if it's his house just leave the room. If all else fails either leave early if it bothers you that much or excuse yourself to a different room. I am a fiscal conservative and social moderate and have very conservative family members. I just let them say what they feel they need to say and then I change the subject. I find that trying to discuss our differences of opinion is futile and more aggravation than it's worth.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:44 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I guess I would ask you, if you feel strongly against this family member, why can't you be honest. Why does someone have to "feed" you the talking points or what to say in order to ( as you put it) counter a Republican.. Speak what you know and and you believe. Unless you don't know what you believe????
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• How do you argue with repubs? The same way you argue with Dems. The ONLY difference is POV.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I'm not a Republican, but I don't think Obama is the right president either. Maybe you should avoid the topic of politics.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:09 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Arguing with a fool is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. You both get dirty, but the pig likes it.

Not sure who said either of those, but if he gets going go find something else to do in another location.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• When people try to change my mind about my political views, I just stop them and changer the subject. It's no use arguing about it.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• And what you believe*
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:11 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• When it comes to family and politics, don't drink and drive!! LOL   Just an expression!!!!!  Just excuse yourself.  :-)

tlcawley

Answer by tlcawley at 11:17 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• You don't know the person will do this so I would wait and see what happens and go from there. They have the right to voice their opinion and you have the right to walk away and not listen. Sounds like you and your family are looking for trouble where there might not be any.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Jul. 9, 2011