Should we discuss this with our son?

My husband is a medical marijuana user. He smokes outside the home but I have a feeling my 14 yr old has caught on. Instead of it being a mystery should we sit down and explain why he uses it and that it is medicinal only? Or simply pretend that it isn't happening?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I would explain it. I believe that being open with your child, will encourage them to be more open with you.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 9:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Oh yes I believe you should explain it to him. Kids catch on really quickly. it's not like alcohol, alcohol is legal for persons 21 and up. Mary Jane is illegal period, at least in federal law. Your hub is usuing it for medicinal purposes, and i'm assuming he has a perscription for it. So treat it like any other perscription with your son.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• He is old enough to understand. I agree with Army there. :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 9:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• If it was me, I would explain it to him and ask him if he had any questions. My parents were always very open with me and in return I was very open with them.
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 9:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I would rather he know it was prescribed by a doctor than thinking his father was out getting high recreationally.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Explain it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:42 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I'd explain it to him. Many drugs have both a medical as well as a street use. DD takes amphetamines (aka speed or bennies) aka ADHD medication.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:51 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I would absolutely explain it to him. You can teach him an excellent lesson here that when used correctly and for the right reasons, some things that are perceived as "wrong", actually aren't. But by hiding it from him, especially when you think he may already know, it's giving the impression that your husband is doing something wrong, when in fact he isn't.
    PTmomma3

Answer by PTmomma3 at 9:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• If it is medical. Then explain it to him. So he/Dad does not have to hide it so much. Tell the son No illegal stuff.

Answer by louise2 at 10:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I agree. he's old enough to understand and y'all should discuss it with him and explain what is going on.
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 10:15 PM on Jul. 8, 2011