How do I get my toddler to go to the bathroom on the potty ? ( tried everything and no luck )

Ok so me and my hubby have been trying to get her to go pee and poo on the potty. We have a potty chair and she is ready for it she knows when she has to go she doesnt pee at nap time, she says pee when we ask her and thats among other things she does that lets us know shes ready.

Well we have tried everything she goes pee great when she wants to but if she doesnt want to she wont and will pee or poo in her big girl undies. We have tried rewards such as candies like one m & m or a half a cookie, we've tried giving her toys, we were told to try letting her sit in her undies when she pees in them didnt work she doesnt care, we've tried letting her run naked and leaving a book next to her potty chair so if she has to go she can run to her potty and read or just go pee, we had her on a schedule every hour then every 45 minutes then every 30 minutes. She goes pee but holds some and then 5 to 10 minutes after she goes she will pee her pants. She doesnt want to go poop on the potty though she holds it in till she has a diper or pull up on then goes in that.

Please we need advise we have a new born in diapers and know she can and will go pee on the potty and would like her to be potty trained so we only have 1 child in diapers not 2. Plus its getting really nasty changing her poopy diapers/ pull ups, so if anyone has any advise or anything please help us we dont know what to do anymore. Also I will add she doesnt like diapers/pull ups either she will undo them after about an hr of wearing them. Thank you in advance for any sugestions or advice.

she is 2 years old and also we dont push her to go potty like we will try a couple days of potty training her and then if she has accidents or just doesnt seem like she wants to we wait a week or so then try it again ( these are just some things we have tried over the past 3 - 4 months

mommyof0210

Asked by mommyof0210 at 9:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We actually made a game of sink the Cheerios. It sounds wierd, but put about half a handfull of cheerios in the toilet and with a smile, just say can you sink them? One big thing is to not let her see you frustrated and stressed. Eventually she will be fine. I would also put plastic pants over her big girl undies, It helps. She is watching you close, so as hard as it is, make it fun and keep going. Soon you will have success. Boys are worse......... :-) Good Luck...
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 9:48 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• this is a trick that i have heard works, although i've never used it myself.

when they have an accident, make them go through the whole process 10 times in a row. (ie: walk them to the potty, they have to pull down their pants/undies, sit on the potty for 30 seconds, get up, pull up their pants/undies, wash their hands, leave the bathroom, turn around and go right back in and do it all again 10 times in a row)

Angelgirl25

Answer by Angelgirl25 at 9:55 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• You don't say how old she is. It sound s to me like she really isn't ready to potty train and/or has regressed because of the new baby. For now I'd say back off completely for a few months and just deal with 2 kids in diapers. It sucks I know, I had 2 in diapers at the same time too. The more you push for this the more she'll resist an the harder it's going to get. Not to mention the HUGE power struggle that you describe is already happening.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2011