Children

Have you ever been around a child and actually seen how that they will copy their parents example?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• I believe this is the chief way that children cooperate with their parents, unconsciously. As such they are powerful potential aids to their parents' continued emotional development. Even their apparent "bad behavior" is a way of cooperating, by pointing to or highlighting problems in an existing dynamic.
    A good family therapist (or child psychologist) understands this & also understands how most problem dynamics are unconscious on the part of parents, that they are unintentional or else lovingly intended, and so the therapist can work to help the family situation without blaming the parents or pointing out how they are the "source" of the problem in the first place.
    But yes, in large part because they are so completely vulnerable to us (particularly to our "unfinished business" or any unresolved pain WE are unconscious of in ourselves), children are potentially our best teachers, in obvious ways and not so obvious ways.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 5:44 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Everyday. My kids' behavior patterns are very similar to those around them. Sometimes it causes problems and I must reevaluate the things I say and do. But I also encourage their individuality. It's inevitable that they will pick up certain traits or quirks of their parents - it's an inherent thing....
    BryRon

Answer by BryRon at 9:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• YES!!! my bestfriend is a neat freak- beyond neat freak actually and her son will want to play with my kids outside but will turn his nose up at how dirty they are getting so he will sit on the steps because hes afraid that if he gets dirty he will upset his mother. i hate it lol sometimes i wish i could throw him into a mud puddle and say to him- see? thats not so bad is it? lol
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 1:24 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Yes. DS is a DH mini-me. For better and for worse.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 9:55 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Yes,
    momand4kids

Answer by momand4kids at 9:55 PM on Jul. 8, 2011