Why cant you have ...... adult content

why cant you have sex for 6 weeks after you have a baby? If you dont have stitches or are healed well why cant you? And why does it seem like if someone wants to get pregnant right off after the baby they dont get pregnant for like a year or two ? Is it true your very fertile after you have a baby ?

sorry for all the questions its just im wondering because me and my hubby dont want another baby yet ( not for a while anyways ) but I had my baby 3 weeks ago and I had no stitches, and now me and hubby want to have sex so I just wanted to know whats up with the 6 week no sex ? I just dont quite understand.

mommyof0210

Asked by mommyof0210 at 9:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• wear a rain coat that takes care of the baby......they say it because everything has to heal
    momand4kids

Answer by momand4kids at 10:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• You can get an infection. It takes a while to heal up even if you feel ok and are not bleeding. You can get pregnant really easy after having a child.

Answer by louise2 at 10:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• lol i've had 3 kids and never waited a full 6 weeks, and i had c-sections with all 3. we waited until about 3 weeks, long enough for the bleeding to stop and it not to hurt to move and then we got right back into the swing of things so to speak lol. as long as you are careful at first it's not a huge issue.

however i would recommend not doing it missionary style until at least 4-5 weeks have gone by because it will be uncomfortable on your stomach because your uterus is still shrinking back to its normal size.
    Angelgirl25

Answer by Angelgirl25 at 10:01 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• We had sex after 3 weeks and I was fine all four times. Use lots of lube because you could be dry (which can cause tearing, which in turn can cause infection) when you do and have hubby use a condom if your into that sort of thing.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• You can get pregnant easier right away because you are open and very fertile.That is the reason why at the six week check up they bring up about birth control and ect.It takes the body a year to heal from child birth.I would wait until they tell you its okay to have sex.Some people do get pregnant right away everyones body is different.I wouldnt take a chance jmo.
    MizzMejia

Answer by MizzMejia at 10:11 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• It is important to let your body heal and your cervix close. Why take the chance?
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 10:15 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• The six weeks is kind of an old thing because they say it takes 6 weeks for your uterus to shrink back down to size, but that has nothing to do with your ability to have sex. If you feel up to it...go for it. I am less than 5 weeks postpartum and we've been at it for a couple weeks or more already. Just took my first pregnancy test again today...LOL. Yes, you are super fertile after delivery, and are more prone to multiples at this time too, so if you don't want another baby right away, better use some kind of birth control.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• you are limited to over the counter birth control until 8 weeks postpartum. the doc will not give you anything until then. i was not able to have sex until 12 weeks postpartum, and it was still uncomfortable. however, i had 15 stitches after my vaginal birth.
    pinkpaisley8709

Answer by pinkpaisley8709 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Your placental site is an open wound, healing for a few weeks postpartum.
    Not likely to cause an infection with sex,
    but if you should get one it can be very serious. !
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• You need to give your body time to heal even if you didn't have stitches or any complications. I gave myself every second of that 6 weeks, even though I was in the mood, and we just got creative in the meantime. No law says you have to have intercourse, and frankly, I was scared to death that it would hurt and it did, even after 6 weeks (but I had stitches). Typically you are just as fertile after giving birth as you were before, so if you don't want kids right away and you're not exclusively breastfeeding, you will need to have some type of contraceptive, which your doctor usually helps you out with at your postpartum follow up.
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 1:44 AM on Jul. 9, 2011