Similac vs. Enfamil vs. Gerber

My son has been having a problem with spit up lately. I've been giving him similac sensitive. But i'm not sure if that's the best route. I tried soy, but he wouldn't drink it. I was looking at the brands at the store today and gerber had a marking on the canister stating has enzymes or something that helps for gentler digestion. But i dont want to try it if others suggest not using it. any advice?

ksadberry

Asked by ksadberry at 9:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It won't hurt to try it.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• My youngest didn't do well on the sensitive kind so we switched him to a "gentle" kind. We only use store brand, though. The stuff we started getting was comparable to Enfamil Gentlease. It did the trick. He still spit up (because of his reflux) but not nearly as much and he wasn't cranky all the time. There were a few times we ran out and the only kind I was able to get was the sensitive kind and you could tell the difference. He was miserable on the sensitive kind (but not nearly as bad as on regular formula).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:32 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• this has a lot to do with it, have you ever breast feed him? i did that with all three of my girls. i breast feed them and they got formula because i couldn't produce enough. the only thing that stopped them was the regular simalac. if they got anything else it was spit up city. talk to your doctor see what they say.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 11:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• My son didn't spit up, but he had the worst gas, so I switched him to Enfamil Gentlease. It was a night and day difference. Enfamil also has an AR formula for babies who spit up a lot. Look on any of the brands websites and it will give a description of all the different kinds of formulas they make. Best of luck.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 11:42 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• we tried Enfamil Newborn,Enfamil Nutramigen & now he has to drink Similac Alimentum Hypoallergenic formula & it works great.My DS doesn't spit up or fuss anymore!

Chelhaidax

Answer by Chelhaidax at 12:47 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• My son had a lot of gas and constipation while on similac so we switched to Good Start Gentle and it has helped tremendously. I have heard that its not recommended to switch real often. you have to give them a couple of weeks to see if the formula change makes a difference.
    carolinagirl075

Answer by carolinagirl075 at 12:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• i was told when switching to mix the old and new formula gradually getting baby used to the new formula. that may be why baby isn't taking the new one
    dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 1:59 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Both of my kids were on Enfamil Gentlease. It worked like a charm. My son also had colic and reflux and this formula didn't bother him. We tried soy and we tried Enfamil Nutramigen < which is very expensive but they didn't seem to help. I would see if your pediatrician has sample cans that you can try before spending $$ on different brands.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 10:01 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Enfamil AR is awesome my daughter has Acid Reflux and this worked amazing with her :D
    JaylynnsMommy21

Answer by JaylynnsMommy21 at 12:54 AM on Jul. 13, 2011