Is it possible to be a feminist as well as a submissive wife?

I saw someone who had a tag that said she was a feminist but she was also a submissive wife... Isn't that a contradiction?

Sarcasimom

Asked by Sarcasimom at 10:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in Entertainment

• I think it's possible. To me being a feminist is about being able to have choices and if it's their choice, how is that contradicting.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 10:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• It really isn't. Feminism is about being able to choose how you live your life as opposed to being told you have to live a certain way because you're a woman. Being submissive to her husband is HER choice, and of course it doesn't mean that she is submissive in any other aspect of her life.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 10:48 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I guess when I think of a feminist, I think of a woman that is all about not being told what to do by a man, making the same money or more then men and that type of stuff. When I think of a submissive wife, isn't that someone that does pretty much whatever her husband tells her to do? I'm asking because I really don't know.
    Sarcasimom

Comment by Sarcasimom (original poster) at 10:49 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Just in my personal opinion, I feel that that statement is very contradictory. I absolutely think you can be a "good" wife who is very supportive, loving, pampering etc towards your husband and still be a feminist. But when I think of the word submissive, I think of someone who is held beneath someone else and not treated as their equal.
    PTmomma3

Answer by PTmomma3 at 11:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• A feminist believes in the right to choose and to be treated equally without regard to gender. A submissive wife chooses to submit her will to her husband's. From what I understand, it's really not all about him telling her what to do; it's about coming to an understanding that he has the final say, but she usually has let him know her feelings on the matter before his decision is made.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• I don't think its contradictory. I am very gun ho in every aspect of my life except at home with my husband. Being submissive doesn't mean that you do exactly everything the man tells you too, I think of my grandmother who was "submissive'" but was really the person running the show. Like the saying goes "the man may be the head, but he needs the neck(woman) to hold him up".
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:27 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Well thank you for your replies. I was ignorant to both terms.
    Sarcasimom

Comment by Sarcasimom (original poster) at 6:05 PM on Jul. 9, 2011