If a movie or TV show makes you want to cry, do you hide your tears from your LO?

Just curious.

My DS, when he was little, would get so upset if he saw me cry, that I would hide it from him.

I'm wondering if other moms find the same with their little ones.

ss_mom

Asked by ss_mom at 11:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• My son is still too young to notice, but I know my mom used to try to hide it. Even now I get sad when my mom or dad cries.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 11:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• yes! lol! all the time- im afraid of looking stupid lol!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 11:46 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• No. We all cried together. It is only human. Everyone has to feel emotions and show emotions. Even my son cries at movies, he always has. And he is a really loving husband and father because he is not afraid of his feelings. To hide your tears is pretending that you don't care.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:18 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• YES
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 11:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• Nah, but my youngest "LO" is 14 - LOL! He just says, "Mom, are you crying? There's no crying in baseball!" (one of our favorite movies is A League of their Own where Tom Hanks tells one of the girl players that there's no crying in baseball) - it always makes me laugh and helps to break up the moment - :-)
    pocmom

Answer by pocmom at 12:04 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Nope. Crying is a healthy outlet for our emotions. It's good for kids to see you cry. I don't hide my tears from my kids ever. They learn compassion and empathy from it too. I give hugs and kisses and cuddles when they cry and they do the same for me.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:53 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I don't try anymore because my kids always know anyway, my two girls especially pick up on that stuff. My 6 year old will comfort me, my 5 year old will comfort me and cry with me. My 3 year old twin boys just tell me its ok, its a movie and then they'll tell their dad about it
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 4:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2011