Is anyone else going through this?

I usually love Xmas but this year its been really hard. I just finished paying all of this months bills and I only have $207.38 until December 31 which is my DH next payday. I can't even afford a tree at this point yet alone presents for my 2 DD. I fell awful. I have been trying for 8 months now to find a job but nothing, and to top it off my DH works for BofA and they are gonna be cutting back jobs. I really hope it wont affect my DH. I hate not being able to buy my kids presents. They are too young to understand the financial difficulties we are having. Im sorry......I just needed to vent. Thanks

cam9lak

Asked by cam9lak at 10:44 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Money & Work

• Yes were doing worse :( Hubby got layed off and the unemployment is backed up and hasn't came in over a month. We have NO money, no tree, no presents and neither of us are working or can even find a job! This recession is putting us in a very, very rough spot. I'm sorry to hear that but your not alone. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• I know how you feel too. I actually had to skp a few bills this month. How old are your kids?? Where do you live? Im in NJ and I have a ton of toys from ages 8-24months. they are all in mint condition. If you are nearby then message me. I would love to help out
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 10:53 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• oh yes, im a stay at home mom, I babysit for on 2 diff families on a weekly basis, some here and there and then another a daily schedule. but my boyfriend is a machine mechanic and is having a hard time keeping work, his job has been making them take unpaid days off randomly atleast once a week, so hes been using his vaca days and now only has 4 left....crazy, good luck with xmas though! sorry to hear about it!
    ataxiachic88

Answer by ataxiachic88 at 10:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• thanks steph319 but i live on the other end in california but you are soo sweet :)
    cam9lak

Answer by cam9lak at 11:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Go to Craigslist and Freecycle.org , you can find free stuff in your area. And remember ( I know it's hard ) Christmas is not about presents.... Bake cookies together, make art projects together.. more than anything else, kids want alone time with mom!
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 11:27 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• cam9lak, how old are your kids?
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 11:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• 5 and 7 years old
    cam9lak

Answer by cam9lak at 11:54 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Cam - you just need to hunt around some. It's not too late to buy online and have it shipped. I've found some amazing gifts cheap. I got my son an mp3 player for 10 bucks (refurbished, usually 60 dollars).. I got the kids Cranium Hullabaloo for $8 (brand new from Toys R US)... You could still squeeze some toys for the kids for 75 - 100 dollars if you were creative and played the price game. Also look at resale shops for gently used toys - you can buy 20 and 30 dollar toys for under 5 dollars. Put up the stockings, use the lights you have.. decorate and you'll be fine.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 12:38 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Serafyna, I agree. I took my niece and nephew shopping to see what they wanted. They are 9 and 5, I couldn't get them out of the stupid dollar store. I didn't even want to go in, but my nephew is 5 and had to have a balloon before we started. I took them to Target and they wanted to go back to the Dollar store! Honestly they are getting $40 worth of dollar store stuff for Christmas because that's what they wanted! Do you know how far $40 goes in the dollar store?

Cam, sorry, I don't have toys for 5 and 7 year olds. I've been giving away toys on my blog KeeperBay.com along with videos, books and clothing, but I don't think I have anything for that age group. You can have a look and I'll keep thinking.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 1:06 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Go to Dollar Tree. I did a lot of shopping there for a charity I run. I got baby dolls, doll clothes, play shoes, dress up clothes,books, and a lot more. I had bags full and only spent about $40.
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 1:54 AM on Dec. 17, 2008