• In the Spotlight:

Why would you take Tussin with Clomid?

I was looking up clomid on Web MD and found that many woman also took Tussin with it? If this helps when would you take it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• Poor quality cervical mucus is one of the many things that can cause problems when ttc. A lot of people who are having a hard time conceiving have poor quality cervical mucus. Clomid, which helps with ovulation, can also sometimes have poor quality cervical mucus as a side effect. Robitussin possibly (not definitively) helps improve the quality of the cervical mucus by thinning it. I asked my doctor about it, and she said while she did not bring it up to patients she did not discourage it either. You would want to take the Tussin during the first half of your cycle and stop after ovulation.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:22 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• It is used to thin mucus and is intended to be used for sinus infections or congestions. But, there is some evidence that shows it will also thin cervical mucus which would improve your chances of getting pregnant. I don't think at this point here is enough evidence to say for sure that it does, but coincidentally I did get preggo with my third while I was sick and taking mucinex. If you want to try it it won't hurt.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 11:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I don't remember the reason, but I used to work in a mental health facility and one of the nurses had a background in OB...when any of us were TTC she would always tell us to take robotussin.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I've not had to take clomid, or any fertility drugs before, but I can tell you that taking Robitussin while pregnant can be dangerous.. doctors think that it might have caused my sons gastroschisis. I would definitely check with your doctor before you take any medication while TTC
    prinzesstephi

Answer by prinzesstephi at 12:03 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• My friend actaully suggested this to me, she was ttc for 4 1/2 years (she has endo and some other problems) and now pregnant woohoo, the theory is it helps thin out your mucus (cervical and otherwise), both her and her husband took it. worth a try i think, of course check with your dr before taking it.
    Aniyunwiya

Answer by Aniyunwiya at 10:46 AM on Dec. 17, 2008