Is your Child on Risperdal? Do you find it helping your child?

My son who is going to be 4 in March was Dx with Auditory Processing Disorder/Intergrated Processing Disorder and has some delays, he goes to Early Childhood thru the public school and has OT and Speech Theorpy. I took him to his Ped. and told him that he is having eggresive behavior at home; alot of screaming and it will most of the morning, you can't reason with him. He mentioned that he would like to have us try Risperdal -M .5 mg , curious to anyone whos child has been on this ? And what pros /cons are. Thanks

scrapn2do

Asked by scrapn2do at 10:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in General Parenting

• My son is on Risperdal and he is 9 yo and he started taking it when he was 8 and has similiar issues as your son. He was taking other meds with it, but now takes it alone. It's not a cure, but I know it makes a difference, he is unbearable when he's not on it and he doesn't like how he feels without it. He started taking other meds (stimulants) when he was 4, but they never made a difference. I think it is VERY serious to be putting a 4 yo on an anti-psychotic and think you should consult with a psychologist first. I know that a pediatrician can prescribe it, but they don't specialize in it. My best advice is to talk to a mental health specialist .
    Anonymous

• My child has not, but I was when I was a teenager.

Pros - I wasn't manic and I was able to handle my triggers better...but probably because of the beginning list of the "cons"

Cons - I felt drugged, I was very tired all the time, "zombie" was a good word to describe me, I had HORRIBLE hand tremors, I wanted to eat non-stop when I was awake, I had severe breast growth (this is not limited to females, btw) and I started lactating.

I personally would not give it to a young child. Even when I took it as an older teen (17+) it was not a good option and I quickly got off of it.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 12:01 PM on Dec. 17, 2008