Benadryl dosage in case of emergency?

So, I'm constantly thinking of the "What if's" and I started thinking about what I would do if my daughter had a serious allergic reaction to something. Now obviously we'd rush her straight to the hospital, but I've decided to keep some liquid benadryl on hand just in case something serious happens. We live in a part of Nevada where there are no children's hospitals, and I figured I'd call the pharmacist tomorrow, but does anyone happen to know, firsthand, how much a 9mos old, 19lbs would take if need be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• get the childrens benadryl and about 1/4 teaspoon. That's really NOT much.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:18 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Does she have bad allergies?
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 12:18 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I work in a pharmacy and any pharmacists would tell you that any medications OTC is not recommended for babies. Your best bet would be to contact your pediatrician for a consult on Benadryl. I understand your concern though and it's certainly better to be prepared in case of an emergency.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:21 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• No, she doesn't have bad allergies but she is starting to try out new types of food and I get paranoid (first time mother :)) that there isn't a Children's Hospital near us (I was a sickly child). Hopefully she has my husband's genes and not mine lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:21 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I live in a place where if anything happened to either of my boys we would have to drive at least 1 hour! I would not suggest giving a baby that young any type of medicine like that...any type of food that may cause a serious allergy such as anaphylactic shock doctors suggest that you do not give them these until at least 1 yr of age. At that point I would guess they would be old enough to give Benadryl I case of an emergency! Consult with your pediatrician who can refer you to an allergist if you are extremely worried!
    kelli.mccarty

Answer by kelli.mccarty at 12:30 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I'm not sure of the dosage, but I do know if the allergic reaction is severe (anaphylaxis) the throat and airway can swell rapidly. Trying to administer something that has to be swallowed can further block and irritate the airway. Administration of epinepherine would need to be done asap. Call 911 or go straight to the ER if the reaction is very severe. If your certain the airway isn't swelling, go ahead and give it. Ask your dr. or pharmacist for dosing info.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 12:31 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Sorry, just noticed the child is only 9 months. Benadryl probably isn't recommended at all at that age. Even with the absense of a childrens hospital, if an anaphylaxis situation occured, emts and paramedics would have the needed epinepherine to give to stop the reaction. If it happens call 911.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 12:34 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• We were told 1/4- 1/2 tsp at that weight. She is now at 1/2 tsp due to her weight. My LO does have severe allergies to not only foods but to animals as well. I have to keep an epi pen and benadryl in our diaper bag at all times.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:39 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• My son had an allergic reaction to amoxocillin at about 7 months, he was about 13 or 14 pounds. I took him to the ER and they gave him 3ml and told me to continue to give it to him. I was giving him 1 1/2ml at home after that.

I would contact your child's doctor for correct dosage.

Why would it be important to have a children's hospital nearby? Most hospitals are going to have a pediatric floor anyway, and many even have a PICU. If something serious that they couldn't handle were to happen, they would airlift your child to a hospital that could handle it.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:34 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• It's important you have the correct dose for her weight..... guessing is never a good idea.

Here are a couple of sites with charts... one is Dr. Sears his is a bit more conservative with dosing another is a children's hospital...
    http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/medicine-cabinet/benadryl
    http://www.lpch.org/healthLibrary/ParentCareTopics/diphenhydramine_peds_dosage_table.html
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:21 PM on Jul. 9, 2011