how can i stop bed time wars?

My dd 28months old, we co-slept and for the past 2months I've having her fall asleep in her own bed and in her own room, but I still have to sit next to her and let her play with my face (she played with our lips to fall asleep since almost day 1) till she falls asleep, well the last few weeks bed time and nap time have become wars, She scream crys then fights to get up, and bounces and refuses to go to sleep. I tried doing the whole Super Nanny trick when they put them back in bed leave the room and repeat the 1000 times it might take but it never ended. Its extra hard to figure out whats right to do I feel bad because it was my choice to co-sleep since day one but now I think she needs to learn how to go to bed on her own and LISTEN to me. advice?

Shevelle

Asked by Shevelle at 10:52 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What about backing up a bit and letting her sleep on a mattress on the floor in your room for awhile. That way it's sort of a smaller baby step. That's what my sister has been doing with her son, and it is working well so far.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 10:54 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Any particular reason why you started co-sleeping the last two months? Remember that humans are creatures of habit. When mom and dad decide to begin a new routine with baby, or small children, the child expects for this to continue till THEY decide to make the change. Its not their fault when mom or dad decides that it didn't work well. Also remember that it takes the human 3 times to break a habit and 3 times to build one, so it shouldn't take long to build a brand new habit that the entire family can live with. Sleeping thru the nite is necessary for the body to get quality sleep. At this age, she should be sleeping solid for 11 to 12 hours and only with a short cat nap in the day.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• continued....If she is getting too heavy a nap in the daytime, she will have too much energy to rest well and will make going to bed, more difficult. I would make sure that her bedtime routine be the same time every nite and that you begin the slow down time about 1-2 hours before the planned bedtime. The human works best with regular times (like the setting of the sun and the pull of the moon and tide.) But also be sure she is getting good exercise during the day, not just running around, but a good regular time of a stroller ride in the neighborhood, and playtime in the yard. This helps her use up her regular and normal built up energy. Be sure and keep her sugar to a minimum, as this also builds negative energy into her body as well as loud and noisy activity in the evening. I hope these ideas will give you something you can begin to use right away. :) Feel free to chat anytime. :)
    lifeasinoit

• Sorry>> i typed that funny we co-slept since she was a newborn and have tried to stop it for the last 2 months
    Shevelle

Answer by Shevelle at 11:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I have coslept with all of mine and love the practice. I too understand when it's time to do something differently. We use some sleep training to accomplish that here.

GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 1:57 AM on Dec. 17, 2008