Vegetarian kids.

I am getting my two nephews and niece this weekend. They are vegetarians... I accidently fed one a piece of hamburger to the niece and the mom gave me a look as I started digging the meat out of the nieces mouth. Any suggestions on what to buy instead of just ramean noodle ( the oldest boys favorite food) and mac and cheese? Help..

syida

Asked by syida at 12:59 AM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I am a vegetarian myself & its pretty simple ( as i speak for myself =) ) You can fix spaghetti with regular sauce or even alfredo sauce? Taco Salad with out the meat, Soup & Salad, Sub Sandwiches w/o any meat, Cheese Pizza. And also ask them what they like to eat & you can fix theirs & then fix your meat on the side
    BrandiM189

Answer by BrandiM189 at 1:06 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Thank you so much. Those are great ideas.
    syida

Comment by syida (original poster) at 1:08 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Your very welcome! Im the only vegetarian out of my family, so my whole family has learned what to fix & how to fix it. But also there are alot of frozen veg. meals you can buy for times you dont wana cook
    BrandiM189

Answer by BrandiM189 at 1:15 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Beans are a great meat substitute, too. If you do tacos, you can use veggies and beans in lieu of meat (I use bell peppers, onions, and zucchini myself). Lots of yummy vegetable dishes you can do, too. Vegetarian lasagna is always popular. You can even google some vegetarian websites for kid-friendly recipe ideas. It doesn't have to be very limiting. You might surprise yourself! It's easier than you think, I promise! =) You can make pizzas, which are really easy if you use pitas for crusts, and then top with whatever toppings everyone loves (then your kids can have meat if they want, too!).
    I'm surprised the mom allows ramen, because the seasoning is often made with animal stock (fat).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:31 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Stir fry with tofu maybe?
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 1:51 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• You didn't say how old they are, but my daughter detested meat, and I used to make her taco pinwheels in her lunch. Smear a soft tortilla with cream cheese blended with taco seasoning, a dollop of sour cream, some rinsed black beans (or you could smear refried beans on the cream cheese), cheddar cheese, sliced olives, chopped chiles, then roll them up, pin with a toothpick, cover, and refrigerate overnight. When they're chilled, trim the ends and cut the rest into 1 inch slices, and serve with salsa. Super fun to eat, and my daughter said she had the coolest lunches ever!
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 2:14 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• hummus and pita chips are good. build a nice fruit salad with whip cream. ice pops are good. bananas dipped in chocolate are fun to make and very good. put them in the freezer after they dip them to be eaten after dinner. Make a veggie chilli. Use kidney beans and pinto beans, tomatoes, chilli mix, corn, onion and serve with tortilla chips to dip in the chilli. Just about anything can be made without meat. Eggplant parm is good too. Use your imagination.
    BrendaW.

Answer by BrendaW. at 3:45 AM on Jul. 9, 2011