1,2,3 rule?! agree or disagree

I don't get why the one two three rule is used..

if they can listen the third time, why waste your breath and make them listen the first time. they just just get two more tries to act up.

UAFwife

Asked by UAFwife at 1:30 AM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I agree with you, my son gets one chance with a count to 3, not 3 chances, If he doesn't listen/do then he gets punished/reprimanded. The count of 1, 2,3 is his second chance I guess lol and at 3 1/2 he knows it.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:32 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• We do things the same way as tntmom1027. We count to three, and if he isn't doing what he's supposed to be doing by 3, he immediately goes to time out. By 2, he's running to do what he's supposed to do, most of the time.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:34 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I agree as well. My children get one verbal warning, or I count to 3, (depending on offense) if that doesn't work, then its off to time out or getting something taken away.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:35 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• But why say one two three.. why not... Come here eithere they listen or they dont? Not arguing just learning others opinion..

not Come here.. okay ONE TWO and then they listen.
    UAFwife

Comment by UAFwife (original poster) at 1:36 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Part of it is the age. They don't have a ton of self control yet, and they just plain don't listen every time. They will NEVER listen to everything we say! However, we are setting the precedent for how they will behave later, so being consistent and teaching them that one way or another, they need to pay attention when Mom or Dad is talking to them and do what they're told, will save you from having a defiant kid later on, when it's MUCH harder to change that relationship.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:39 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Lol...they're kids! 123 puts them in a tight spot stating that mommy is in a bad mood and she means business..! I guess they listen then :p
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 1:40 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I agree with Music its the age thing. In the future he won't be getting a 1, 2, 3. Right now he is still learning all the rules and doesn't have the control to remember everything from day to day, or mood to mood. When he is calm he follows rules without the counting, when he is hyper he needs the 1,2,3 to let his self control kick in and to REALLY hear me.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:44 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I believe the 1 2 3 gives them an opportunity to think it through and decide to comply. It allows them to decide it is best to do as instructed and behave as they have been requested to. Like us it sometimes takes thought to do what is right and not just react.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:48 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I agree with tootoobusy
    MrsLLove

Answer by MrsLLove at 10:59 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I agree as well. My children get one verbal warning, or I count to 3, (depending on offense) if that doesn't work, then its off to time out or getting something taken away. Part of it is the age. They don't have a ton of self control yet, and they just plain don't listen every time. They will NEVER listen to everything we say; I believe the 1 2 3 gives them an opportunity to think it through and decide to comply. It allows them to decide it is best to do as instructed and behave as they have been requested to. Like us it sometimes takes thought to do what is right and not just react
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:11 AM on Jul. 11, 2011