How can I get my son to eat fruit?

I have a 5mo old and he is starting to eat the baby food from the jar but he only eats veggies and cereal. He will not eat fruit spits it out everytime unless I put a little in his nighttime bottle.

persistence5

Asked by persistence5 at 11:00 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• One of the best feeding methods that was taught to me by the oldest practicing ped. in the world (Dr. Leila Denmark), who also developed the whooping cough vaccine, and who is still living at the ripe old age of 110 (soon to be 111 in Feb.), recommended mixing all the foods together. This worked so well with my last two, that I wished I had used it with my first two little ones. Mix together his protein (chick, beef, egg yolk, liver, etc.) with veg. (carrots, squash, peas, or beans), 2 T. of applesauce, 2 T. of banana and 2 T. of baby rice cereal, and serve warm. :) We have the healthiest babies on the planet. :) They eat well and go into toddler-hood continuing to eat very well. :) Works for us. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:10 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• at that age... i would not worry about it. he's getting all of his nutrition from his formula or breastmilk. i wouldn't be putting it in his nighttime bottle either, but that is just me. the fact he is favoring veggies over the sweet stuff is a good problem to have.
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 11:11 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Don't make him eat it and try it again later. Usually they grow out of it.
    lanesmommy08

Answer by lanesmommy08 at 11:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• You could try mixing it with his veggies. But remember if you are mixing new foods one has to be a "safe" food that he has already had and you know he's not allergic to.
    SO like sweet potato and apple are nice together, Green beans and pears or apples, squash and apples, apples and carrots
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:59 AM on Dec. 17, 2008