Chicken pox

If an adult has never been exposed to the chicken pox during childhood, and now as an adult still has yet to get them what should they do?? I am not a vaccer...but would you think I should for this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Health

• You know what's in the vaccine and the potential side effects. So, get the disease instead! But really just live on and deal with what comes. You may well never have chicken pox/shingles at all or cope with it so much better than you fear. x
    Womamhood

Answer by Womamhood at 4:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I would get the vaccine, if you chicken pox at any point in your life you can get shingles later on which is HORRIBLE from what my friends tell me...i think there is also a shingles vaccine so I guess either one would work..why take the chance of getting the itchy bast**ds if you can avoid it? I still have scars from when I got them as a child.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:52 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• My grandparent never I got I've never had them either but my brother has had them 3 times!! I dont want to get vaccinated because I just dont feel I need to but also I dont get a yearly flue shot... Its really just personal pref

dedicatedmama2

Answer by dedicatedmama2 at 1:58 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Chicken Pox is a minor illness if you get it as a child. As an adult male, it can cause sterility, and some pretty serious health issues. As an adult female, I don't think the risks are that serious. Discuss this with your doctor and then you can make an informed decision. Since so many kids are getting vaccinated now, you are less likely to be exposed to the virus anyway. If you do get it, don't take tylenol for pain, as that has been found to cause a very serious side effect, Reye's Syndrome.

I understand how you may feel about vaccines. My granddaughter is not getting most of them.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 2:14 AM on Jul. 9, 2011