How do you tell family, friends & everybody else " you need some me time?

doloriaw

Asked by doloriaw at 1:56 AM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Relationships

• I tell them straight up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• First, you pick when you are going to have your "me" time. Are you trying to schedule an hour a day, or a few days together over a holiday? If it's a holiday, and you don't want to go, discuss it with the people closest to you (DH?, S/O?). Then just tell the other relatives. You can say that you aren't going to make it, because you have other plans. You don't have to be specific. If you're looking for an hour a day, just schedule it, and then turn off your phone and don't answer the door.
    I've done both. I sent my DH and some of the kids to visit his family, and I stayed home. My DH knew that I needed to be alone for a while, but the relatives heard that I had some work to do. That was enough. They didn't have to know that my "work" was to do nothing except what I had to do, so I could enjoy some peace and quiet!
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 2:05 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• it's not a holiday but a "much needed" vacation from EVERYBODY! i'm the go to person in my family and to my friends.
    example= my sister and her kids will call me at 3, 4 and 5 o'clock in the morning about any and everything, my best friend and her daughter calls me to ask how you spell things. i know i'm a night person but really?! my sister would be the first one to admit that she tells her kids to "call aunt marie"
    doloriaw

Comment by doloriaw (original poster) at 2:23 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I would talk to hubby and ask him if it is plausible for you to take 24 hours and go stay at a hotel. I would make sure he had the info as to where you are...obviously but no one else. Take the time to rest, read a book... whatever.... recharge your battery. If you are unable to do this I would tell the inconciderate people in your life that you need your rest too. Get your best friend a dictionary. As far as your sister goes, if she can't understand that she is intruding with these phone calls at insane hours she needs to be smacked in the head. Set ground rules. Let these people know that you go off duty at 9 pm and that your day starts at 10 am. If they need something, contact you then. Unless it is an emergency tell them to write down their question and call you durning your business hours. Shut the ringer off......screen your calls..... good luck.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 2:55 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• no hubby just baby daddy, wish i could turn ringer off but i take care of my brother who lost his hearing and doesnt answer the phone, he also has a speech problem, that everybody acts like they can't understand-so all the business people call me.
    doloriaw

Comment by doloriaw (original poster) at 3:03 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• tell them that you appreciate them wanting to spend time with you but right now you need some me time and when you want company and feel like visiting then you will let them know.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 6:56 AM on Jul. 9, 2011