How do I start homeschooling my child?

We are a military family living overseas. My daughter is supposed to start kindergarten right around the time we are supposed to leave, and I don't want to get her in a school just to have to take her out and start at a new one right away (I looked into starting her early, but they won't let her). Also, with my husband's job we are planning to have to move at least 3 times in the coming year, so that's a lot of instability for her. It just seems like the best option.

How do I go about starting homeschooling for her? What laws am I going to have to follow since we don't live in the states right now? Should I look into our state of residence's laws even though we won't be moving back any time soon, and then just follow the laws of the state we end up in? I'm totally lost on this subject and don't even know where to begin! Help!

jackiNicole

Asked by jackiNicole at 2:03 AM on Jul. 9, 2011 in

• Home schooling IS the best option for you! I moved a lot, too, and homeschooled four children for twelve years. The best place for legal advice is Homeschool Legal Defense. But basically, when you move overseas, I think you follow the laws of the state you came from. It isn't hard, and homeschooling Kindergarten is a blast. And being overseas is such a wonderful opportunity for her, that you will want to schedule a lot of field trips, even if you have to cut back on "academics" for a while. The world travel is far more important than if she knows all her alphabet sounds and letters. There are some homeschool groups here at CafeMom. I'm in homeschool4preschool right now! Hope you join in.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 2:09 AM on Jul. 9, 2011