Not sure if im in real labor..

So I have been having a lot of menstrual like cramps pretty consistEnt for about 3 hours. Some steongerbut not enough for my breath to be taken away. Baby has hiccups and is moving still. I'm just not sure. I'm 37.5 weeks. This is my second, I didn't really dialate with my first and ended up with a c section. I have only eaten once today and havent been hungry. I feel a tad grassy bit the cramping isn't related to gas. I'm so confused and don't want to go to the hospital if I'm not because they make you feel dumb.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• They shouldn't make you feel dumb! You don't have a medical degree, you're just a concerned mommy! And the dumb medical staff in my city sent a mother home when she was in labor. She turned right around to come back and delivered her baby on the side of the road with a midwife's help who just happened to over hear the whole situation on her scanner and she got there before the ambulance. So the doctors aren't so smart, either!

Generally, false labor pains slow down or stop if you lie down, but real labor is constant. Lie down for 30 minutes and time your contractions. False labor contractions follow no real pattern. The first may be a few seconds, then a minute, then a few seconds again. Real labor, the contractions are steady, and steadily building, and should get harder as time progresses. If you lie down and all pain stops, it was false labor.

If you're still in doubt, call the doctor on call. You are paying for it.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 2:18 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Sounds like things are preparing and working on It.
    But could still be a few weeks away...
    Are you planning a VBAC?
    Do you have help for laboring?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:19 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Thank you.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:20 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• You may be having braxton hicks contraction. I would try and eat something, even if it's just a few bites and drink lots of water. Then always if you feel you need to go in don't worry what they think and go. Good Luck:)
    claverty

Answer by claverty at 2:20 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I know what you mean about the hospital staff treating you like you're dumb if you go in ahead of time - I've been there. In fact, with my second baby, they said no way I was in true labor and they said to go home. I knew I was in labor, even though I was only 32 weeks along so I sat down in the foyer and waited until the pains were obvious to everyone and they took me inside and did an exam. My son was born that evening. So yes, they often do treat you like you're dumb, but whether you're in labor or not, going in when you're concerned is your right. They are medical staff, it's their job to examine you and make the decision to admit or send you home, but whatever way it goes, it's THEIR JOB to make that call. If they treat you like you're stupid because you want them to do their job, they're just asses. Treat them with equal distain. I hate that there are so many people working in maternity who don't have empathy...
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 2:47 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• ... for a woman in labor. It's an emtionally vulnerable time, and a laboring / birthing mother needs emotional and psychological support not just medical know-how from the hospital staff. It's a real pet-peeve of mine that they so often don't.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 2:48 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Drink a bunch of water and lay down. Time your contractions!
    If they are consistent and keep going and getting stronger, you are in labor.
    If not, probably just BH, which are a pain in the patooty and let's be honest, mother nature being a bit of a bitch! False labor pains? Really? LOL

Good luck!
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 3:19 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I had a week of on-again-off-again labour - you can read my story here:
    http://www.giving-birth-naturally.net/pregnancy-diary-week-38.html
    I first had serious contractions on the Monday - she was born in the water at home on the Saturday! Between there is quite a long story - please read it! I had a friend due just after me and she was experiencing the same thing and said she was really encouraged after reading my story! It's actually quite difficult to know for sure when you're in labour - so my advice would be to just rest so that when things do start happening you are well rested - and less likely to need another c-section...
    BirthJunkieMom

Answer by BirthJunkieMom at 3:44 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• To add to my previous post - the day my daughter was born i'd had contractions from 12 the night before until midday - completely irregular - some 3 min apart, some 15min apart - they were all over the place! - and then they disappeared at lunch time. 6:45, after 6 hours of NOTHING I had 4 VERY strong contractions in ten minutes - I was in transition! (the last 2 cm of dilation - 8-10cm dilation) called the midwife and my baby was born less than 2 hours later - I had been dilating the whole time when I thought nothing was going on... so event hough the contractions were completely irregular - it was still real labour! that's why I say it's very difficult to tell...
    BirthJunkieMom

Answer by BirthJunkieMom at 3:48 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• That sounds like it may be early labor. I'd just take it easy and see what happens. If you're 37.5 weeks then you should be fine.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 6:07 AM on Jul. 9, 2011