Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

6 Bumps


When people make babys they should be responsible. Every parent should support their child. No matter what. You would think. Well I have a daughter who has had an open child support case for almost ten years. Just recently child support contacted me and told me that they had to drop my daughters child support case becouse her dad receives SSI. They don't think he should have pay anything now. But if he wants to see her I have to let him. So do you think he should still have to support his child? Any advise


Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Parenting Debate

This question is closed.
Answers (18)
  • I think a man should have to pay no matter what. There are programs for fathers who cant work(?) or dont have a job. At least in my state, called Fatherhood program. And about the choosing who you have a baby with, people make mistakes. People should not judge you because you had a baby with a jerk. And some guys dont show their true colors until after it is too late. He may have not been that way before.

    Answer by Amanda1390 at 12:05 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

  • I would contact social security and let them know he has a child. They will pay you child support directly from SSI.

    Answer by bcauseimthemom at 2:43 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

  • contact social security. Your child is entitled to support and you will receive a check monthly for your child. My first husband became ill and I got ss for both of my sons.

    Answer by BrendaW. at 3:54 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

  • Yes if he's able to work it's only right to support your child.

    Answer by Sarah961 at 2:26 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

  • How long ago did he get approved for SSI?

    Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:44 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

  • i think h should have to pay what he can ! but yes i think he should have to pay even if its only $10 . i raise my skids and i get the same rubbish she dose not pay a penny or help out at all but she exspets to say jump and get her way

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:01 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

  • I agree call the social security place.

    Answer by mamaofficer at 3:37 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

  • Yes, and you should receive partial Soc Sec as a payee for you child (on his claim)!!!

    Answer by isismoon3 at 10:59 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

  • Being on SSI shouldn't excuse him from child support. You're right, he should still be responsible and a portion of his SS income should go toward his child.

    Answer by hellokittykat at 4:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

  • I think people need to be careful who they make babies with. You made a baby with someone who isn't great no way he just turned that way overnight. You have some responsibility here as well. Can't wait to see the vote downs I get for

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Jul. 9, 2011