If a child spends most of the time with a caregiver should parents be worried that their children will follow the....?

caregiver's rather than the parents?
What if the child starts copying/imitating things that caregivers exclusively do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:16 AM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have a fear of that. That's why I opted to be a SAHM so I could raise my DD how I want her to be raised. I also have a fear of other people watching her, you never know what our LO's will pick up from their care givers. My DD recently stayed at her aunts for a few days because I had surgery, she was nearly completely potty trained, and she came home & refused to go, I blame it on her 9 YO cousin who wets his pants & refuses to go on the toilet. It's sooo aggrivating!
    something_

Answer by something_ at 8:56 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I think it just depends on the care giver...my kids spend 8 - 10 hrs with her and they do imatate some of wht she does- but I expected it and she is great so I don't mind. I have to work.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 9:35 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• My mom has babysat a little girl since she was 1, she's now 6 and this little girl spends most of her time with my mom. It's gotten to the point that if her mom takes her for more than 2 days away from my mom the little girl cries for my mom. I think it's a mixture of touching and sad at the same time.
    Jenniy

Answer by Jenniy at 6:46 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I think that if a caregiver is doing something that you absolutely do not want your child to imitate then they're the wrong caregiver for you in the first place. :)

Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 10:20 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Exactly Jessica.

Kids are going to mimic things that people do. Even people they only see a few times a year. That's how kids learn.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:26 AM on Jul. 9, 2011