How do I get my milk supply up again?

I have a 5 month old and would really like to feed him for a year but I can only breast feed in the morning and at night. But he isn't getting nearly enough from just those two feedings to where I have to suppliment them with formula. He needs about 8oz. I even tried feeding him before every feeding for a day but that didn't help either. And I can't feel my let down muscle anymore. I smoke but only about 8 a day so it's not heavy but I'm wondering if it's affecting it. Help?

andrearaeb

Asked by andrearaeb at 11:17 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well I dont smoke so i can not help their but i do know this....
    in order to increase your milk supply i had to pump everyday round the clock (every hr) and eventually the flow will come back. It may seem like only a little is coming out but you will see a difference after a few weeks it takes awhile but don't get discourage. I had a single breast pump and it worked great but i know it works better with a dual. I didnt get a dual until my son was like 3 mos
    persistence5

Answer by persistence5 at 11:29 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• no smoking doesnt effect it but if u gave hi blood presure it will... dont know if u do... you can take mothers tea and alfelfa pills, which are vitamins and they both will help out alot
    Pooky_mommy

Answer by Pooky_mommy at 11:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• the tea and pills mentioned is from the fennel seed extract family. you can buy it at drugstores. i bought mine at united supermarket. i had stopped breastfeeding my 2nd baby. several MONTHS later, i wanted some hot tea for cramps. the only kind i had was the mothers milk tea. so i drank a couple of cups of that during the day. the next day, DH and i were messing around, and I HAD MILK! i always had trouble keeping my milk supply up with all 4 babies. i always had to supplement, then quite altogether. but you might try finding the capsules and milk.
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 11:46 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• YES, cigarettes affect supply. MORE IMPORTANT, not nursing enough affects it even more. No more supplementing...only feeding at the breast when you're with him. It's OK if he fusses...that's what makes your body work harder. Every bottle given undermines you so stop them unless you're not with the baby.

Your profile says you work part time...save the bottles for then, and pump once for every three hours away.

Stop by the Breastfeeding Moms group for more help, including a sticky post with every increasing supply trick known to woman.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:06 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I smoked and yes cigarettes can cause you to quit letting down and lower your supply. Not to mention you aren't nursing enough. You need to nurse constantly and you should have never even put him on the bottle, but if you do work part time then you need to pump while you are at work and put him only to your breast while at home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• You might consider bringing him into bed with you at night, and sleeping with a nursing bra or topless so that he can nurse on demand at night. This will allow him to naturally increase your milk supply AND (unless you smoke in your sleep... haha) you don't have to worry about passing along any of the carcinogens from smoking too close to feeding him.

Some women are hesitant to cosleep for fear that baby will be stuck in their beds forever - but there are lots of options! My husband and I just arranged our furniture so that our son's crib is like a side-car on our bed. That way our son gets use to sleeping in his own little area, but still has access to the boob all night. Right now he only wakes up to eat 2-3 times at night. And I just have to roll over and pop the boob in without even waking up all the way.

PM if you want to talk about cosleeping!
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 12:54 AM on Dec. 17, 2008