How can I get my kids to go to bed at night without all the goofing?

I have 2 lil girls (Ages 2 1/2 & 4 yrs old) Been sharing the same room for 2-3 months now. (We are expecting our 3rd child and need the other room.) Did pretty good at first, but about a month and a half ago started doin ALOT more goofin when they get put to bed. Has become a 1-2 hour deal before they FINALLY fall asleep. We put them to bed between 8:30-9:00p and they dont fall asleep until 10:00-11:00p. Dont usually take naps during the da. Usually the littlest one that goofs off the most at night and her sister eventually joins in. Ive tried taking everything they have away, doesnt work. No matter what we do or say to them, they cry for 5 min and once Im out of the room they are goofin within 5 min. If ANYONE has ANY advice...ANYTHING??? Im so desparate at this point, I will try anything. It is getting way out of control and quite stressful.

lvmygrls

Asked by lvmygrls at 11:17 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My kids used to share a room and goofed way too much. I moved their bedtime to 7pm. And they were 7 and 8 year old. That way they goofed but ended up asleep at a decent time. My rule was that I couldn't hear them or they were in trouble. I could never find a solution either sorry.
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 11:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I hate to say this but it like most things is a phase. I suppose that they know that there is going to be another sibling soon and they think that they can get away with anything. I have four girls and three of the four have to share a room. The baby got her own room because she could not sleep at night with others in the room...mainly my husband....

It is just an idea, What if you sent the older one to bed first. and then once that one is sleeping send the little one in to go to sleep. It could end one of three ways...LOL...Either the oldest one will complain why do I have to go to bed and not her....Or the littlest one will purposely wake the already sleeping one....or they will refuse all together...

All I can say is that my girls three out of four go to bed at 9:00 and usually you don't hear a sound...they are 9, 6 and 2 1/2. Good luck

AnaBaumgartner

Answer by AnaBaumgartner at 11:29 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• It's one of the dangers of room sharing! I know that if I'd have had a sister we'd have been goofing off for hours...my mom would send me to bed far earlier than I needed to be there and I was always up until at least ten o'clock.

My son is also a non-sleeper. What's worked for us? Let him stay up in his room, on his bed, door closed, light on. He always falls asleep on his own when he needs to sleep and wakes up just fine.

In your case, I'd think about putting them in the room a bit earlier, closing the door, letting them do as they please with the warning that they cannot get out of bed except to use the toilet. They can stay up, talk, play with dolls, whatever. IN BED. And violations mean they will be separated into different rooms again. They'll get the message long before baby arrives. (And even then...easier on you to keep baby in your room...just a thought.)

Answer by gdiamante at 1:06 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Part of this is the enjoyment of sharing a room and growing up together, but the getting out of hand part can be dealt with by using some sleep training.

GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 1:56 AM on Dec. 17, 2008