Rent!!!!

Ok so mi brother in law just moved in with his wife and 10month old and we pay 500 rent every 1st -5th he moved in a lil before the last week of june well were a lil late but today were gonna pay it and hes saying he is only gonna give 150 because he hasn't been here that long...but am i right or wrong??...first you pay for the month and then you live in the house.....how is he saying that he's only gonna give 150 idk i guess for the month of june if my hubby already paid it..it don't make sense to me i fell like they are taking advantage ..his wife already owes me 500 and hasnt paid me since like january and hasn't said 1 word about it..i think m totally right when i say they owe 250 for rent.what do you think

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:28 AM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Relationships

• I think you are right about how much they should pay. However, it is something that there should have been an agreement on. I guess I would figure things out with hubby, take the 150 this month and then sit down with them and discuss what will be expected from now on. What will happen if they don't pay, etc.

If you hadn't discussed that before now, I would drop it this time and discuss it now. If you already discussed it with them - then YES, they should pay the 250.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:40 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• You would think that your BIL out of courtesy would pay more. But I guess he is calculating that every week the rent would be $125 and you said he moved in the last week of the month.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 7:42 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• yes mam just this monday that passed we told them it was gonna be 250 they didnt complain only his wife did said it was too much...but my hubby was like welll thats the way it is...so we actually did discuss it i guess she just put stuff into her hubbys head so yesturday he told my hubby (not me) that he was only gonna give 150 but if i woulda been there he proly wouldnt say that i think hes taking advantage bc he thinks we do not know..im 20 yrs old his wife is like 25 and hes 23 my hubby is 19 i guess hes taking us for fools bc we are younger!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:50 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• and like i said it wouldnt matter what he is calculating..iii think..simply bc last months rent is already paid..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:51 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• There isn't enough of an age difference to claim they are taking advantage because you are younger. If you are going to be room mates, everything including utilities and groceries should be split 50/50. If they moved in the last week of the month, they only owe the last week of the month. You are not a landlord, and I'm guessing you did not put them on the lease, you really don't have any recourse except to agree on what they will pay and let them live there or tell them you have changed your mind and don't think it will work out.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:55 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Figure out how much you want them to pay for what amount of time. Write it down, and get them to sign it. This will prevent most future problems. Nothing wrong with being young. Live and learn.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 7:58 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• The best advice search online for rental agreements and draft up a lease that spells out when they pay and how much. Have it noterized and give a copy to both parties and if they don't agree to sign then serve them with an eviction notice. This can prevent all of this from ever happening again and you will both know what is expected of you.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 7:59 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• When it comes to family and money, it's best to discuss BEFORE HAND. It prevents hard feelings like what you are now experiencing. You'd all know that if you were a bit older.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:27 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• 50/50 financial responsibility. They owe you their share for the last week in June AND half of what you are having to pay right now. Why did they move in with you? Nobody has a Mom they can move in with?
    FreeToBeMe2011

Answer by FreeToBeMe2011 at 9:19 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• what about chargeing him weekly? that way when the rent is due u have it instead of hopeing he will have his 1/2. and if u have a printer print out a rental agreement. like rent is.....and is due on..... and 1/2 for utilities so if ur electris is 200 he is to pay 100. or u can include it along with the rent or 25.00 a week. also print out what will happen is rent is not paid. every one is to sign and date it. best of luck.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 10:13 AM on Jul. 9, 2011