What are you doing to combat your childrens "summer boredom"?

Mrs_Harsh

Asked by Mrs_Harsh at 7:49 AM on Jul. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• We have a lake right behind our house and it is a blessing! Teaching DD to ride her bike, swim, fish and everything has been so much easier now that we moved up here! If that isn't good enough we will go to the park or drive out to the waterpark 35 minutes away.... which is right by the zoo! If all else fails, I have homeschool books that we break out and refresh their learning on.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:33 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I've been spending time at the public pool and my sister and I got Six Flags passes for us and the kids (my daughter is three and under so I don't have to pay for her). I have horses so we spend time riding them and we go to horse shows at the Horse Park. My mother has an inflatable pool so we spend time there.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 8:20 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• my fav cure for boredom is the hose on hot days. If they can play with water they are happy. we love trips to the library, playdates, and I like doing those bug kits. Right now we have ladybug land, so that means we got ladybug larvae in the mail and we are watching for them to change. it's fun. I don't allow any video games during the week and all TV till 5pm Mon-Fri has to be educational, but they watch very very little. I homeschool my kids, ages 9, 5, and 2.

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 9:10 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• well my dd is only 10 months, until sunday!! :) anyway so nothing really. Once i have her 1st birthday party i will have a kiddie pool w/ a slide & sprinkler and hopefully a mini ball pitt, then she will have those to keep her busy. other wise we will be staying home in cool house
    ZeenaS.Muh

Answer by ZeenaS.Muh at 8:33 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• That sounds like a good time!
    Mrs_Harsh

Comment by Mrs_Harsh (original poster) at 8:32 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• If you have a big tree somewhere in your yard - try to put up a swing. We just bought some good rope and a wooden plank - attached the rope on each side and presto - it was easy and my 9 year old loves to go out back and swing away! Also, a portable Basketball Hoop in the yard is fun!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 10:44 AM on Jul. 9, 2011