Taking away the pacifier now...or later? Help!

My dd is turned 3 a couple of weeks ago, and she still uses a pacifier to help her sleep, which so far isn't a big deal to me. I thought it would be a good time to start phasing out the pacifier, but now I'm not too sure. We are currently working on potty training, I took away the sippy cups just before she turned 3, and now we are getting ready to move cross country in September. I feel that taking her pacifier (which she uses for comfort at nap/bedtime) at this point is just too much for her to handle.

Any advice? The reason I ask is because she's lost all but two of her pacifiers and it's getting frustrating for me to keep searching for them. :-)

**Yes I know, she's too old for the pacifier, they will mess up her teeth, etc.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Jul. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• I went through the same issue. I didn't want to screw up potty training. I think it's reasonable to decide which one matters more to you. BTW, when I finally took away the last paci (which had been chewed through and was unsafe) the transition wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:01 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• If the pasifier is only at nap and bed time. I do not see a problem keeping it for now.

Answer by louise2 at 8:07 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I never had an issue with a pacifier with my kids, DS threw it away himself at 9 months and DD never really wanted one. However, DD did not want to give up her bottle. I would say, let her have her paci as long as she wants it, she will eventually get tired of it and throw it away. If she doesn't ask for it, I wouldn't mention it though, out of sight, out of mind may work here, good luck!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:10 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I'd wait. She doesn't have permanent teeth yet and is dealing with lots of other things given potty training and the up coming move. Don't be surprised if she regresses with toileting when you move.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:17 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• i didnt have this problem with passifiers..dd stopped taking them at 3mnths..but id say just leave it til she gets use to the new house then take it..good luck
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 8:24 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• you know i dont understand how a paci messes up the baby teeth. I mean they are baby teeth, baby teeth fall out and by the time that will happen im sure she would be done w/ the paci anyway. Okay w/ that said. just tell her once the last one is lost your not gonna buy anymore. Im so thankful my dd doesnt use one,she doesnt suck fingers either.
    ZeenaS.Muh

Answer by ZeenaS.Muh at 8:29 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• wow that is a lot of change at once. from what i've heard though when you move to a new place if you are going to implement new rules this is the best time to do it. your baby will just think it is part of the whole change new house no binky. of course it will be hard but nothing good is ever easy.
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 8:43 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• honestly you should have been taken it away once she got her first couple of teeth .. try to deal with the crying at first when she ready to take a nap and then when its night night time just ease it away.. good luck lady ladii
    MissCheare

Answer by MissCheare at 8:08 AM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I personally didn't have a problem with my son and his pacifier, he really didn't care for it all that much but I was told your always supposed to brake them of that some where in the first year or so...and that's what I plan on doing when my daughter becomes of age...I would just get rid of them and keep them out of site or something...like I said I havn't had this happen to me as of yet so I wish you the best of luck :)
    Hershey_kisses

Answer by Hershey_kisses at 10:47 AM on Jul. 9, 2011